Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Infrared Kids

Real Name
    Anthony

Infrared Kids

Hello, all. This is only about the fifth time I have uploaded pictures for comments. I am still very new to photography, but I am learning by leaps and bounds by doing lots of reading and experimenting. One thing I like to do when it is high noon and the the light is generally bad for regular shooting, I like to use my infrared converted camera because the light is just right. Anyway, I have been doing mostly IR landscape, but have been also trying some portraiture. With three kids under 5 years old I also have a hard time finding time to shoot. So, I am usually shooting on the fly, messing with settings when a hand is free.

I would love some comments and criticisms for these two shots. The only adjustments I did from the RAW file was swap the blue and red channels (standard for IR photos) and dodge some unsightly highlights. Thanks for your help!

Infrared Kids

Infrared Kids

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Infrared Kids

A very good idea to try IR on the kids. Lends a different and attention-grabbing dimension to them.

I think fro these, as with any other images, the basic concepts of composition, light control etc apply.

In the first one there are some hard light/shade lines at the bottom of the image. I'm finding these dragging my attention away from the child. For example she has her right leg and foot partly in shade and partly in light.

Real Name
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    A very good idea to try IR on the kids. Lends a different and attention-grabbing dimension to them.

I think fro these, as with any other images, the basic concepts of composition, light control etc apply.

In the first one there are some hard light/shade lines at the bottom of the image. I'm finding these dragging my attention away from the child. For example she has her right leg and foot partly in shade and partly in light.
    Do you think it would be worth the time and effort to try to lessen some of those on Photoshop? I think the hardest part for me is the time I usually have to take a shot. It usually goes something like this,"alright...I want the aperture to be 2.8 and the shutter....hold still....I know you're tired...just one more second. ::click:: shoot...I left it on +2 EV.!" I'm luck to ever get something. Maybe I should try more landscape shots.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Yep - Never work with kids and animals. Trees, walls and mountains are much easier to control!

I think you could soften some of the harsh light transitions in post-processing.