Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Images From Northern California

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Images From Northern California

I'm in northern California for Thanksgiving. I've been busier than a horsefly at a rodeo and weather has been challenging when it comes to taking pictures but I try to take advantage of the breaks in the weather to do what I can. I thought I'd share a few shots of my favorite places.

Chuck

First up is Mount Shasta with snow:

A painterly version:

Next is sunset on the ranch at four corners:

Finallyh a painterly version:

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Images From Northern California

Beautiful images Chuck. especially like the 'painterly' versions. How did you achieve the effect?

Peter

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by peterb533 View Post
    Beautiful images Chuck. especially like the 'painterly' versions. How did you achieve the effect?

Peter
    I usually use TOPAZ, often using multiple filters and sometimes I use the smudge brush in Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 or Photoshop.

Chuck,

The two painterly versions are so beautiful. Do you need a lot of time to transform a photo into a painterly version?

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Yan Zhang View Post
    Chuck,

The two painterly versions are so beautiful. Do you need a lot of time to transform a photo into a painterly version?
    Hi Yan...not usually. I start with a RAW image file and convert to JPEG making whatever adjustments seem appropriate. I may tune up the image a bit in Paint shop or Photoshop then do Topaz. I often try multiple Topaz filters to get the look I want. I'm guessing it takes less than 10 minutes per image if all goes well. If I do smudge brush painting too then it can take much longer.

Chuck

I really need to get out more... It's always interesting to see a different take on an area (I live in Northern California). Great photos -- motivates me to go out and try my hand at landscape

I think I'll head up to Tahoe this weekend... Should be able to get some great shots there

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by KentDub View Post
    I really need to get out more... It's always interesting to see a different take on an area (I live in Northern California). Great photos -- motivates me to go out and try my hand at landscape

I think I'll head up to Tahoe this weekend... Should be able to get some great shots there
    Keep the camera with you as much as possible. If the wife objects you don't have to wear it to bed but keep it close. Always be looking and have fun. I find I see so much more when I'm carrying a camera. Tahoe should give you some beautiful scenes.

Chuck

Administrator
    Real Name
    Sean

Beautiful. You captured some great cloud action/texture, and the painterly look works well -- esp with the first one. Was that taken just off the 5?

I've been debating whether to visit Shasta this time of year, so it's great to see such current photographs. Looks like a nice frosting of snow -- not too heavy yet, but not too light either.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by McQ View Post
    Beautiful. You captured some great cloud action/texture, and the painterly look works well -- esp with the first one. Was that taken just off the 5?

I've been debating whether to visit Shasta this time of year, so it's great to see such current photographs. Looks like a nice frosting of snow -- not too heavy yet, but not too light either.
    Thank you. The Shasta shot was probably less than a mile off of I-5 west of north Weed. (For those who don't know there is a town up here named Weed and, yes, we do have fun with it). The sunset shots were off of A-12 in the Shasta Valley.

It's worth the trip for me just to be here because this is where I grew up. This morning it's 27degrees and the mountain is clear but there will be a possibility of rain tomorrow...snow at higher elevations. It sounds like you are familiar with the area so you know it's a different mountain every 5 minues as weather, atmospheric conditions and lighting change.

I got some interesting lenticular cloud shots above the mountain the other day...if I can get the time I'll post them.

Chuck