Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Restoring a Black and White photo

Restoring a Black and White photo

Hi I am wanting some help restoring a black and white photo. Its got a big white flash mark in it. I don't know where to begin. Not sure if there is anything I can do.
    I have attached the photo so you can see what I mean.
    Thank you so much in advance.
    Glory

Real Name
    Phil Page

Re: Restoring a Black and White photo

It would have been a lot easier if you shot in RAW

Real Name
    Pavel

Glory,

If I am not mistaken, the only way to restore the photo is to draw missing parts. Most probably, you will have to find an artist in order to restore it. Flare has completely ruined colour information and there is no way except drawing. Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Pavel

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

The faces should be able to be improved significantly provided you do a good scan and the original is at least a 6"x4". If it is one of those very small prints that used to be done you will have a very difficult time restoring it successfully. Some of the flare is very low and could possibly just be cropped out.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

It needs to be rebuilt.

If you are not skilled at this and the Photograph means something to you: then the best advice would be to take the Negative (i.e. the FILM NEGATIVE) and the PRINT or PRINTS to a Professional Photo Restorer. That's what I would want - the negative and any multiple prints of it.

The small (digital) image you posted has very little information with which to work.

Below is a ROUGH indicative of the about the WORST CASE a Professional Restorer could do – remembering that this example is a ROUGH - I did it in five minutes and the rebuild is from a very small digital file:
    Restoring a Black and White photo

I’d charge about AUS $50.00 to repair it - properly - to a postcard size print.

I am not touting for business: I don’t want to restore it. I have enough restoration work already – I am just giving you an indicative cost of a professional job.

On the other hand – you could (high quality) scan the neg (or print) and begin rebuilding it yourself, digitally.

WW

On a technical note:
    PS - I don't think that is "flare" - it is a light leak.
    The 'tell' is the hard lines and the geometric shape of the overexposure on the negative.
    Last edited by William W; 21st March 2013 at 12:25 AM. Reason: made the meaning clearer: added 'PS'

Thank you for your advice and help. Thank you Bill for having a go at fixing the photo. I will leave it for the time being as I cant get a good scan of it done just yet.
    Much appreciated
    Glory