Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sea Turtle

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Sea Turtle

Comments welcomed.

Sea Turtle

Karm

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Sea Turtle

Karm, for me the reflection is too much a distraction and limits the view of the turtle. I think a Polarizer would have helped here. However, it might work cropped in tight for a bit of an abstract image. Although I am having trouble figuring out the crop I have in my head.

Paul, I wanted the reflections in this picture. It's not quite an abstract.

Karm

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Hi Karm,
    As the picture slowly loaded, the reflections at the top revealed themselves first and I thought it was a turtle trapped in crystals of ice. The reflections over the turtle work quite well (for me) as an abstract combined with the second subject. The lower left reflection stands without competition and I find my eye wanders to that point rather than dancing over the turtle.
    Overall, quite a difficult image to look at, but it's okay without that lower left bit.
    Graham

Graham, I understand your point. I first see the the turtle's head, then the reflections on its shell, and then the area on the lower left. I tried various crops and I thought this one worked best. I see this photo as being decorative. Obviously, its a photo of a turtle but that is not its point. If I wanted a picture of a turtle this photo would not be the one I would select.

Karm

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Sometimes size really does matter and this is one such case. I couldn't figure out this image at all in the small size. Viewing it in the Lytebox made complete sense.

This style of photo isn't my thing, but it's immediately clear to me that you had a particular style in mind and executed it very well.