Corner LotCorner Lot

micro 4/3rd, 20mm, 1/10sec, 0ev, f/4, ISO 800
    Corner Lot

DSLR, 20mm, 1/60sec, f/4.5, ISO 640
    Corner Lot

Real Name
    Shane

Re: Corner Lot

John, I like the mono version the best of the lot but it feels as if the right face of the church is tilting forward (this may be an illusion or the result of your shooting angle?). The detail that you have captured and the lights add a nice ambiance to the image.

I find the yellow saturation a bit to strong in the first and last but like the inclusion of the lamp post in the last image. The juxtaposition of old vs. new is interesting as well.

This editing stuff is so subjective...as you know I am struggling with editing myself so you won't get an technical solutions from me only encouragement

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneS View Post
    John, I like the mono version the best of the lot but it feels as if the right face of the church is tilting forward (this may be an illusion or the result of your shooting angle?). The detail that you have captured and the lights add a nice ambiance to the image.

I find the yellow saturation a bit to strong in the first and last but like the inclusion of the lamp post in the last image. The juxtaposition of old vs. new is interesting as well.

This editing stuff is so subjective...as you know I am struggling with editing myself so you won't get an technical solutions from me only encouragement
    Thanks for the comments and critique Shane. I did some adjustments to the angle of the building. The angles are partially effects of the wide-angle lens and the buildings position. As I stated in your thread on editing, the dodge and burn technique is a challenge so I utilized the levels adjustment. By the way, the white specs in the last image is snow falling captured by the camera flash.

Real Name
    Lex

I like the 4th image best, but I'd echo Shane's comments about the yellow channel. Saturation in general seems a bit heavy-handed. But I like the old/new juxtaposition and the range of color and light temperatures. Not sure if the snow adds anything. It's light enough that it could be mistaken for a visual defect

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I also like the black-and-white one the best. The mood is wonderful. I do agree that it would help considerably to minimize the distortion. That's because the two primary areas of interest are in the distorted area of the image. Also consider cropping to eliminate most of the foreground, as it doesn't add anything to the image and perhaps is a bit distracting.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by RustBeltRaw View Post
    I like the 4th image best, but I'd echo Shane's comments about the yellow channel. Saturation in general seems a bit heavy-handed. But I like the old/new juxtaposition and the range of color and light temperatures. Not sure if the snow adds anything. It's light enough that it could be mistaken for a visual defect
    Thanks for the comments. Regarding the snow, would prefer the rain soaked streets but will have to wait awhile before I get the same effect.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I also like the black-and-white one the best. The mood is wonderful. I do agree that it would help considerably to minimize the distortion. That's because the two primary areas of interest are in the distorted area of the image. Also consider cropping to eliminate most of the foreground, as it doesn't add anything to the image and perhaps is a bit distracting.
    Thanks for the comment Mike. I also like the narrowness of the sidewalk to the building, rarely seen these days. Might be hard to see it except for in the fourth photo. Will try to include that in upcoming images.

Real Name
    John

Extremely foggy this weekend but no rain.

Corner Lot

Something else.

Corner Lot

Real Name
    John

Converted Church in Sunlight

Corner Lot
    4/3rd camera
    f/10, 1/1600sec. ISO 800, 14mm