Thread: Trains in the Rain

Real Name
    Glenn

Trains in the Rain

Taken Saturday 9th at the wet, foggy and cold North Norfolk Railway.
    Trains in the Rain

Trains in the Rain

Trains in the Rain

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Trains in the Rain

I don't usually go in for doing comparisons and saying this one is better than that one. I think we have to judge and make comment on each image based on its own merits.

But I'd like to suggest that this threesome offers us a chance to critically appraise why something might work better than something else (Now, of course, everyone else might totally disagree with me).

I think the first one is a stronger image.
    Quote Originally Posted by glenng View Post
    Trains in the Rain
    There are a number of factors that lead to that, but significant amongst those, for me, is the fact that this captures the engine with steam all around it. Now that hits the bullseye on a couple of levels.

On one hand steam engines are about steam.. And this one shows off lots and lots of steam. But the steam also fulfils one other important function - It blocks out the background; i.e. it becomes the background, and in doing so throws more attention onto the engine.

Anyway, that's what struck me about it.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I agree with Donald about the strengths of the first one. However, I also like the strengths of the second one.

One of the second photo's strengths is that the background does show and complements the rest of the scene. I also like the person using the umbrella walking on the bridge above the train, as it complements the weather and indicates that this is a working train station. I do strongly suggest that you get rid of the bright green clothing on the left.

Real Name
    Steve

I agree with Mike and Donald, I would have tried to get more in front such as crossing the line and taking a quick shot from almost the front, usually get somebody shouting oy you get off the line though, but the top is tops.

Real Name
    Glenn

Thanks for the comments it was a bit challenging to get it right.
    Arith the North Norfolk Railway is a live steam railway and no one is aloud line side without a pass and going through a test and there was a very large steam train was coming into the station I thought better of it.

Real Name
    John Roach

Glenn,

as records of the weekend event (BR Standards Weekend, I think?) they're fine. I'm with Donald, though, in that number 1 really grabs my attention. It really evokes the era of smoky platforms, soot in your eyes from peering over footbridges and slamming carriage doors.

I'd be tempted to go the whole hog, and convert to B&W, but that's just me....

I agree with Mike about losing that bright green item on the left edge of #2. Possibly a signal? Either way, I would crop or clone it out.

And I suspect that selectively adding a fraction more highlight brightness to the third shot would give it a bit more impact.