Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: "Star rockets tonight... afternoon's delight..."or something or other...

Real Name
    Ken Outch

"Star rockets tonight... afternoon's delight..."or something or other...

We had some fireworks the other night as part of a long weekend celebration involving the opening of a memorial for our Vietnam Veterans. So we sat on our hill after dark about 2 kms away from the action The whole thing went off with quite a bang. I got the following with a zoom lens. Used a tripod.
    Thanks for viewing and any for cc any comments
    Cheers
    K

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: "Star rockets tonight... afternoon's delight..."or something or other...

I've never tried to shoot fireworks. I/m too mean to but my own and wherever you get a public display like this, there are huge crowds of people ... which I'm not over-keen on.

I think the third one is a bit 'empty' with lots of black space, but the others are good.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

I took pictures of the new year fireworks in London this year so know how difficult it is. I Like your first three shots, I think the fourth suffers from a little too much 'after burst cloud'. I had fun in post processing mine changing the colours, a conversion to B&W was surprisingly effective....

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I've never tried to shoot fireworks. I/m too mean to but my own and wherever you get a public display like this, there are huge crowds of people ... which I'm not over-keen on.
    Finding the correct shooting position is essential, Donald. Nothing worse than trying to use a tripod amongst a crowd of jostling people; all looking up and going Ahhhhh!

Ken. What I usually do is to combine a few bursts, as layers, onto a suitable background shot.

I try to take a few suitable shots to create backgrounds as well as the star bursts, etc. The pasted layers can be resized to suit the scene and selecting the correct layer blend mode ensures the various shades of black all merge together without any visible joins.