Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Just a Bryophyte photo...ugh

Real Name
    David

Just a Bryophyte photo...ugh

If you don't mind, tell me what you think and what you would change if anything. This sort fo shot is fairly new to me so I want your honest opinions.
    Canon 5D mKII, 100mm f2.8 macro, 0.4 sec at f10, 100 ISO and no flash.

Just a Bryophyte photo...ugh

Real Name
    Greg

Re: Just a Bryophyte photo...ugh

David, I am not familiar with that plant, so I don't know how big it is; but atm it seems to me that you are not exploiting the potential of that lens. For what it's worth, I would try to get in closer and focus on just one of those bulby-things.

Real Name
    Greg

Hi David, I second the other Greg's comments. The image has potential but lacks a definite focal point. Closer, I think would be more interesting.
    Looks like your ok for light and obviously on a tripod so f/10 plus shouldn't be a problem to give you a decent dof.
    Good luck, (the other Greg)

Real Name
    Dave

+1 for getting closer if possible. However, I guess the image on screen is already at least 3 times life size, so don't know the practicalities.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Macro of moss, nice and vibrant. The wood in the fore ground, it it were at a little more of an angle, it would nicely lead into the picture. That would also lead to nice DoF effects if you wished to explore that more.
    Generally like the shot and think that there are many more angles to be worked that could improve it even more.
    Good starting point.
    Get your knees wet?
    Graham

Real Name
    David

Thank you to everyone! I haven't used this lens much yet but I agree with what is being suggested. I'll try it again and see if I can get even closer. The whole thing isn't more than a couple of inches across but I really should see just how close I can go. The hardest part is getting up off the ground when you're done. Maybe I should stretch more, but then someone once told me that a simple glass of wine sure loosens up those stiff joints.