Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon Rebel series for a beginner?

Real Name
    Sarah

Canon Rebel series for a beginner?

Has anyone used a camera from the Canon Rebel series?

I've heard a lot that it's recommended for beginners, which I am. I'm trying to learn as much as possible before setting my "preferences" so would like to use my DSLR for a little bit of everything. Just wanted to see how it's rated on this site.

Thanks
    SG

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Canon Rebel series?

Quote Originally Posted by SGerke View Post

I've heard a lot that it's recommended for beginners, which I am. I'm trying to learn as much as possible before setting my "preferences" so would like to use my DSLR for a little bit of everything. Just wanted to see how it's rated on this site.

Thanks
    SG
    Hi Sarah,

I've owned one, and quickly traded up to a pro-sumer class camera (before trading up again to professional models). Personally I found the ergonomics of the Rebel series just too limiting; the prosumer series (eg 50D) has the quick control dial ("QCD") on the back which makes all of the constand adjustment a lot easier (rather than repeatedly pushing buttons). Size wise I found it too small (all though perhaps better suited to ladies having smaller hands)?

Image quality wise there's really nothing in it; in that respects the camera is just a box at the end of the lens that lets the light in.

This may sound cruel, but the first words that come to my mind if anyone says "rebel" are "glovebox spare" and "in case of emergency", although others will no doubt disagree with me.

Real Name
    Will

ive recently purchased the 500D, you may know it as the kiss x3 or the T1i. Yes its taken a little while to get used to the controls, but not so much so i would regret having gone for it over a prosumer camera, since it has many other better qualities. Go into a shop and try some hands on to see how it feels. If you can afford it, then sure go for a 50D, 7D or something else around that sort of class. But if your budget limits you, im not sure id agree with going for a posuemer over a rebel.

If you do decide to go for a rebel, then make sure you check out competitors cameras in the same class to see if the small, but sometimes significant, differences between them might mean youd get more out of a model from a different manufactuere. Cometition for the 450D/500D would probably be something in the range of the D5000 from nikon, the alpha380 from sony, and the E620 from olympus

Photography is not a cheap hobby by any far stretch of the imagination. You will need accessories as well like camera bag, memory cards, cleaning kit, card reader, pop up diffuser (if you're not planning on getting a hot shoe flash), and lens protective filters. In other words, things will add up fast.

So the first thing you need to do is set a budget for yourself and stick to it. Then physically go to a local camera shop or store that carries the cameras you are interested in. Physically hold them and see how they balance/feeling within your hands. Ergonomics is important because it will help you enjoy shooting more.

Once you decide on a system or camera brand, you are pretty much committed to that brand. It's very costly to switch brands, and never go into photography as an investment for later resale. Like any electronics, they will depreciate in value as newer technology comes into play. Invest your money is good quality lenses in the long run, not the camera bodies. Oh and you can buy third party lenses to fit your camera that you decide on instead of going main brand to save money.

You will hear this often in photography "Bodies will come and go, but your lenses will last forever from body to body."

I highly recommend that beginners check out places like www.keh.com to buy their first camera used, unless you really are serious about the undertakings. This way you can get a great camera at the fraction of the original price, master the basics with, and if you decide it's not for you; it's not that much of a hit to the wallet. Also you can always sell it back to them later if it's not for you.

Now with that said, many beginner may and often times will outgrow their entry level cameras. When beginners asks me what I recommend, I will usually recommend a body along the mid-range price (semi-pro). Why? Because it's literally a camera that will grow with you as you learn more and more. Or if you decide to take a break and come back to it in a year or two, it will still grow with you even then. Often times for many, it's the last camera body you will buy until it dies in service.

Note: most entry level bodies uses the smaller SD cards, while many of the semi pro/mid range bodies takes CF cards. So if you decide to one day upgrade the body to the next level, you will need to buy all new memory cards to fit.
    Last edited by Amberglass; 10th November 2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: add

Yes certainly have a look at the 50D first, if you have definitely decided on the Canon brand. The Rebel series is a fraction cheaper but you should be able to get a good deal on a 40D now, which is a very popular camera.

Both of these Canon ranges are excellent cameras but I would say that for most people the main differences are in the feel of the cameras and the arrangement and viewability of the controls. I would recommend both for a beginner.

Also consider weight. Some people find the 50D range too heavy and cumbersome to carry around all day while others think the Rebel range is too fiddly and lightweight. The 40/50D is a strongly constructed piece of equipment with a metal frame so it is better able cope with a few knocks.

But a lot will depend on exactly what you want to photograph and the size of lenses. If you intend going for some long heavy telephoto lenses at some time, then I would recommend getting one of the 40/50D cameras from the start as these tend to have a better balance.

However, you may find the Rebels fine for general use and easier to just carry around without too much effort.

For me, I use a 40D and find it suits me just right.

Quote Originally Posted by SGerke View Post
    I've heard a lot that it's recommended for beginners, which I am. I'm trying to learn as much as possible before setting my "preferences" so would like to use my DSLR for a little bit of everything.
    Hi SG,

I would have to agree with the rest. If you are looking to learn a lot about photography, go stright for the prosumer/semi-pro lines (used even if the cost is an issue). You will quickly (too quickly) outgrow a rebel. If you've never used a (d)SLR before, the Rebel's seem great with all of the features they have over a point-and-shoot, until you realize all of features that are left out compared to the higher models. At that point, frusturated at your equipment, you'll be left with three options: Purchase a better camera, improvise (sounds great in theory, dosn't usually work out so well), or throw you camera againt a brick wall and walk away (please dont! ).

The features not found on the rebel are things you will grow into; controls and speed that will make the difference of getting the shot the way you want it or disapointment. Going used on a higher-series camera is a far better choice than a brand new rebel.

Real Name
    Richard

The image quality from any Rebel series camera can be very good. However, if I were to advise someone regarding the purchase of a Rebel, I would recommend that the person buy a used Rebel body such as the 400D or 450D or even a 350D and use the money saved to upgrade the lens.

You can get a used older Rebel for peanuts and if you decide to upgrade later, you will not have lost much money. However, I would overlook the original Rebel or 300D because that camera lacks a lot of versatility.

Lenses are the factor controlling the quality of imagery far more than the body style.

An older camera (even one as old as a 350D) with a top-line lens will be far more versatile and will produce image quality that will beat the pants of a more expensive camera such as a 50D if that camera is used with a less than top-line lens.

I would recommend a used Rebel with a new Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC lens as the optimum "bang for the buck" setup.

That said, I far refer the slightly larger xxD series cameras to the Rebel line. The 30D and 40D cameras can also be purchased fairly inexpensively and, if used with a top-line lens, are great outfits. The control systems of these cameras are, IMO, better than the Rebel series and I like the slightly larger size. There is not a terrible lot of difference between the image quality from any of the cameras.