Thread: Going to Niagra Falls

Real Name
    Bob

Going to Niagra Falls

My wife and I are off to the Falls this summer, going to do the Maid of the Mist thing etc.
    I have a Canon rebel 3Ti (600D).
    My question is should I look into waterproofing it or buying a waterproof point and shoot?
    My budget is a little thin though $200 (150 pounds)

Advice or suggestions welcomed

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: Going to Niagra Falls

My wife has a good quality P&S that is "waterproof", and a nice little camera for situations like yours, when I just dont want to drag my bigger kit out, or occasionally when I want a super wide shot witha huge DoF, so I think that's a versatile solution. Also, I'd certainly encourage you to get a good rainsleeve for your Rebel and keep it in your kit bag. I'm not sure I'd trust the rainsleeve though in those conditons if the Rebel is not weather-sealed.

Real Name
    Zen

You will definitely need some kind of protection device on Maid of the Mist. You get soaked! They issue you a rain coat, but the mist seeps thru nevertheless. To do it right, you would need an underwater housing of some kind for the Rebel.

But it's a glorious ride and way too good not to photo the experience. At the base of the falls, You will see power that you didn't know existed anywhere in the world!

Many other photogenic venues in the area worth looking into. The lower Niagara River, the Welland Canal, the Botannical gardens on the Canadian side of the river, Fort Niagara, etc., etc.

Good luck and have fun.

Zen

Real Name
    John

A decent camera bag with additional water-proofing should be enough, plus the raingear. I doubt if you will get much photography accomplished once you near the falls on the Maid of the Mist.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I would be VERY careful with any camera gear on the Maid of the Mist. Some time ago, I had my higher end (semi-pro) video camera (Panasonic DVX100a) completely protected by the rain cover for that camera (by Panasonic). I wasn't shooting at the time (way too wet) and in spite of my best efforts some water got in and shorted out one of the circuit boards.

Fortunately, it was repairable and the tech was able to restore it back to life; but it was not useable for the rest of that short trip. Moral of the story is that even rain protection gear may not be "good enough".

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

Sometimes, I prefer to just enjoy an experience and put the camera away. In that situation, the camera can put me at a slight distance from the experience as I worry about getting shots to remember as well as being concerned for the safety of the gear. A point and shoot that can be easily protected is probably enough. I got my best pics from standing on dry ground around the Falls and at some nearby spots.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

I agree with Larry on this. It really does get very wet on the Maid of the Mist. You can get some reasonable shots at the start of the trip as you move past the American Falls but once you get to the Horeshoe Falls it is pretty hopeless for photography because there is so much spray and I don't think the shots would be that good anyway.

Dave

Real Name
    Bob

Thanks to everyone who took the time reply. Thinking a pas is the way to go (suggestions?) but I will also look at a rain sleeve for the rebel.
    Thanks again

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi there,

I agree, seal the Rebel in two layers of zip lock bags and keep it hidden away when you approach the falls, unless you can leave it somewhere safe (and dry) while you are on the boat.
    It is VERY wet on the Maid and all you'll see looking up from close by is a huge cloud of spray-mist. Got my best shots from the top too.

Sorry, I can't help with a suggestion for $200, I don't have a waterproof P&S.

Enjoy the trip.

Could you do me a favour please?
    Could you Edit your Profile and put your first name in the Real Name field and where you are (roughly) in the Location field? - thanks.

Welcome to the CiC forums from ...