Thread: DSLR articulated screen and more about Canon 60D

Real Name
    Ramesh Hari mohan (Hari)

DSLR articulated screen and more about Canon 60D

Hi all,

Really had some nice feed backs about my doubts in the first post and thanks to all who shared their views.
    :-)

As I had told earlier, I will be coming up with new doubt as it is.
    Firstly My doubt here is regarding the fully articulated screen in the DSLRs in Canon such as the 60D, 650D etc. Please give comments about the dis advantages in particular and any technical and other issues that develop with these systems in the long run. For eg: Wires breaking off, wobbly hinges, screen damages, errors etc etc.

Secondly, its regarding the 60D of canon. Could the 60 D users and others please put in their reviews and particular advantages and dis advantages compared to the other models such as the 650D and the 7D.

Thanks again
    Hari

Real Name
    Frank

Re: DSLR articulated screen and more about Canon 60D

Hi Ramesh,

I started out in around 2005 with a Canon G5 (bridge camera) with articulated screen and it is still fine after 15000 shots, very, very many of them with the screen in swivel position. - I then waited for a DSLR with a swivel screen, and it was finally in 2011 that I found the 60D had come out, at last(!), and got me one right away. - I wouldn't want a camera without one. The feature is useful for all kinds of subject: architecture, flowers/macro off and on tripod, inconspicuous street or concert photography, holding it out above your head in a crowd and still see what you're doing, etc, etc.

PS: obviously, when the screen is folded away it is better protected than a fixed one.
    Last edited by scriveyn; 3rd March 2013 at 03:09 PM. Reason: PS

Real Name
    Ramesh Hari mohan (Hari)

Hi frank,
    Thanks for your reply and its quite good to know that it has worked well for you on the 60D and other models till now. But why I have had doubts is because, I have been through some reviews or rather comments sating that the screen is prone to technical damage too rather than just accidental damage. Further, I have read about the 60D getting troubles with the smaller display screen on to as well as with the LCD swivel screen, and further errors occurring regarding the functional aspects of the camera.

I did really like the positive reviews which did assure things to be on the better side but still wish to know more from present users. :-)

Thanks
    Hari

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Hari,

Like Frank, I waited until there was a 'proper' DSLR with a swivel screen - it happened to be Nikon with the D5000, which I got in May 2009, the day after it came out.

I am fairly careful with my kit, and I have never had a problem - and it is folded away after shooting each day and the camera has done circa 50k clicks now.

I'm sure others that are less careful may have had problems with their hinges.

Technically, go by the specification for pixels, usually the same screen is used in other cameras, so compare for pixels and general comments too.

Ironically, I now see so much advantage of a D7100 over the D5200, I may be about to break my own rule and buy a fixed screen model in order to upgrade the camera spec. enough to be worth doing - but if there were a D7150 with a tilty screen, I'd buy without hesitation.

Cheers,

I originally went digital with a Canon Powershot G2 a little over 10 years ago.

That little camera would still be operational except for a faulty connection between camera and articulated screen. Which occurred after a couple of years. I can't see exactly what is wrong after stripping down a few items.

But, hopefully, design has improved since then.

Personally, I can't make any sense of shooting by using a viewing screen instead of the viewfinder.

However, when using the video option which only works on screen view with the 7D, an articulated screen would be easier on occasions than having to get into a position where the screen shows clearly.

But I have only used the video option a couple of times; and those were just attempts to understand how it worked.

With regard to variations between the 650D, 60D and 7D. Probably the main difference regards the easier ability to make quick changes with shooting settings when using a 7D; or a 40/50D for that matter.

But not everybody wants to keep tweaking these settings to suit each individual shot. I find it is useful for quick wildlife shooting or candid portraits etc however 'slow landscape shots' often allow plenty of time for accessing the menu to make adjustments.

The 60D lies somewhere between these two alternatives. Personally, I would prefer either a 50D or a 7D.

The lack of a metal based body frame was originally given as a downside to the 60D but as far as I am aware, I haven't heard of any failures concerning the 60D all plastic body.

Real Name
    J stands for John

I have had a truely fully articulated LCD since I bought my Nikon 5700 bridge camera around 2003 or 2004 and the camera has done around 10,000 exposures despite being overtaken by subsequent cameras. Panasonic had other features which I thought were worth getting so it wasn't until the FZ50 came out and now my Gs MFT cameras that I regained the fully articulated screen. I guess its princple use is to monitor changes to camera settings but secondary is for low and high shots and occasionally a reverse shot. I feel rather deprived without the articulated screen as with my Olympus E-PL1. Though the Nikon is only 5Mp I used to use it in preference to newer cameras when using a tripod in my home studio to save squating down to squint through the viewfinder of a camera normally around waist level.
    I gather that finally the DSLR is timidly testing the waters as it realises it is far behind the times in this matter

I would ask Harri is he going to use the camera professionally or as a keen amateur as the wear and tear when used by the former might cause problems and the other question is does he treat his camera as a fashion accessory, swinging from the shoulder, like I see so many cameras these days or does he treat it with care as a robust but sensitive instrument?

Sorry no offense intended but it is a pet hate and disgust of mine these days Walking through a supermarket with a DSLR, no protective lens hood, slung over her shoulder was the last occasion My cameras live in their cases until actually used so I guess they last longer, until I give them away to family to mistreat despite my protests Thrown into a handbag amoungst everything else in it or actually thrown onto the floor of the car in a moment of irritation at something It does have a lenshood 7/24 and a convienient bumbag to live in which it sees occasionally
    Last edited by jcuknz; 3rd March 2013 at 07:22 PM.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

A tilt and swivel screen is invaluable for LIVE VIEW, in situations where one would otherwise spend $10,000 on Chiropractors releasing one’s neck from using poor shooting positions – for example low shots and much macro work.

Using the Tilt and swivel screen saves money on buying an Angle Finder.

Also Tilt and Swivel screens are invaluable for shooting Waist-level; and Hipshot and also Hail Mary Doorstop style – but rarely are these used as shooting styles, as not many (very few) Photographers remain who know why and how these techniques are employed – AND unless one takes one of the very few formal Photography courses which uses TLR cameras; waist level finder cameras are never used now as a matter of course, anyway so the experience reamins a mystery, for most.

Also, for all of the above reasons, the T&S Screen is useful for Video.

IF one meditates on whether the screen will break or not – the purchase choice will never be made – or it will be made, for all the wrong reasons.

WW

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    A tilt and swivel screen is invaluable for LIVE VIEW, in situations where one would otherwise spend $10,000 on Chiropractors releasing one’s neck from using poor shooting positions – for example low shots and much macro work.

Using the Tilt and swivel screen saves money on buying an Angle Finder.

Also Tilt and Swivel screens are invaluable for shooting Waist-level; and Hipshot and also Hail Mary Doorstop style – but rarely are these used as shooting styles, as not many (very few) Photographers remain who know why and how these techniques are employed – AND unless one takes one of the very few formal Photography courses which uses TLR cameras; waist level finder cameras are never used now as a matter of course, anyway so the experience reamins a mystery, for most.

Also, for all of the above reasons, the T&S Screen is useful for Video.

IF one meditates on whether the screen will break or not – the purchase choice will never be made – or it will be made, for all the wrong reasons.

WW
    Also works for my Nikon D5100. TY

Real Name
    Ramesh Hari mohan (Hari)

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    I have had a truely fully articulated LCD since I bought my Nikon 5700 bridge camera around 2003 or 2004 and the camera has done around 10,000 exposures despite being overtaken by subsequent cameras. Panasonic had other features which I thought were worth getting so it wasn't until the FZ50 came out and now my Gs MFT cameras that I regained the fully articulated screen. I guess its princple use is to monitor changes to camera settings but secondary is for low and high shots and occasionally a reverse shot. I feel rather deprived without the articulated screen as with my Olympus E-PL1. Though the Nikon is only 5Mp I used to use it in preference to newer cameras when using a tripod in my home studio to save squating down to squint through the viewfinder of a camera normally around waist level.
    I gather that finally the DSLR is timidly testing the waters as it realises it is far behind the times in this matter

I would ask Harri is he going to use the camera professionally or as a keen amateur as the wear and tear when used by the former might cause problems and the other question is does he treat his camera as a fashion accessory, swinging from the shoulder, like I see so many cameras these days or does he treat it with care as a robust but sensitive instrument?

Sorry no offense intended but it is a pet hate and disgust of mine these days Walking through a supermarket with a DSLR, no protective lens hood, slung over her shoulder was the last occasion My cameras live in their cases until actually used so I guess they last longer, until I give them away to family to mistreat despite my protests Thrown into a handbag amoungst everything else in it or actually thrown onto the floor of the car in a moment of irritation at something It does have a lenshood 7/24 and a convienient bumbag to live in which it sees occasionally
    Hi jcuknz,
    That's fair enough to ask. As for me, I'm not into professional photography but as you mentioned, a keen amateur (liked that) and will take care of my kit as much as possible, (just as I do with all my equipment usually, like phones lap tops and so on). But in fact, my field of action will include bit of crowds, dust and pushing around occasionally. Other wise it will be more of landscapes, family occasions such as birth days, get together or weddings (Not pro, just for personal use and for friends, but I do wish to make the photos good) and occasional wild life and so on. .
    From what I feel, I will be using the view finder more than the live view. And do you think, the number of AF points matters with my area of interest??? (Just trying to make up between a 60D and 7D in fact )

Many thanks
    Hari

Real Name
    Tom

I have had my D5000 pretty much since they first came out and have had no problems at all with the articulated screen. However, I seldom use it for articulating anything. The big win to me is that it turns around to protect the LCD when I'm not using the camera, and folds back to show the LCD -- which I almost always use in-place on the camera body -- when the camera is in use.

Real Name
    Lex

I'm a 60D user, and while the T&S screen's handy, I could live without it. Folding it to protect the glass has undoubtedly saved me some scratches, and for contortionist-style shots, it can be quite helpful. But if I had a choice of two identical cameras around $1,000, one with, and one without, a T&S screen, I wouldn't pay more than ~$100 extra to get the screen. It's nice, but there are a lot of camera specs I consider more important.

On the durability front, there's no getting away from the fact that a T&S screen requires more fragile parts and connections. I'm not an orangutan, but neither do I store my gear in a bed of swan's feathers, and I can't say I've ever been terribly worried about the screen. It pretty much only gets deployed for tripod work, where it's pretty safe. When you're not shooting, carrying the camera by hand or on a strap with the screen deployed is asking for it.

In general, I'm a big fan of the 60D, especially considering the performance per dollar. However, if you're buying without worrying about compatibility with existing equipment, Nikon seems to be a better still-photography option at the moment.

Real Name
    Richard

"Secondly, its regarding the 60D of canon. Could the 60 D users and others please put in their reviews and particular advantages and dis advantages compared to the other models such as the 650D and the 7D."

Let me give a great plus right off the bat... The 60D provides great imagery at a very reasonable price (as far as DSLR gear goes). It might be the camera that I would select if I needed/wanted a new DSLR camera at a reasonable price.

The 7D does have some advantages, however. Two at the foremost (IMO) are: (1) the excellent autofocus capablity of the 7D. Right out of the box it is excellent but, it can be customized into mind boggling auto focus and (2) the three camera user settings; C1, C2 and C3. The 60D has but a single camera user setting... Better than nothing but, way behind three settings in convenience.

Another advantage (for me) is that the 7D uses CF memory cards. All of my other Canon DSLR cameras also use CF cards and I like that standardization I wish that the 7D battery was interchangeable with the BP511 batteries I use in the rest of my cameras. This might be a moot point for a first time buyer.

The much touted articulating LCD is a totally moot point as far as I am concerned. I almost never use the LCD as a viewfinder.

Real Name
    mark

I was looking at a 60D And the basic specs look close to the same as the 7D in the reviews. but after some digging and reading a couple threads here Plus a killer deal I got a 7D. And love it! Is it more camera than I need? probably. But It is easy {for me } to get around with the button vs menu selections. And as Richard said It focuses super fast.I also like the idea of lens micro adjust,that the 60D dosen't have. If I hadn't gotten such a deal on my 7D I would have bought the 60D and been happy!
    Last edited by mknittle; 5th March 2013 at 05:37 PM.