Thread: Canon USA sale on refurbished items

Real Name
    Richard

Canon USA sale on refurbished items

Canon USA is offerng a sale on refurbished cameras, lenses and other gear. Refurbished is the way I prefer to purchase my cameras. I have purchased three refurbished Canon DSLR cameras and have had absolutely no problems with any of them and have ben shooting with my 30D, 40D and 7D for years no with no glitches. OTOH, the two DSLR cameras I previously purchased new, each needed to go in for service within the first 90-days of purchase. As a result of my experiences, I tend to have more confidence in the quality control at the Canon Service Centers than the Q.C. at the Canon Assembly Line. At least a refurbished icamera is checked by a human. That is not necessarily the case with cameras coming off the assembly line.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs...=&CID=1-9MIOTE

All prices in U.S. Dollars

EOS 5Dii body: $1,407.36
    EOS 7D body: $1023.36
    EOS 60D body: $639.99
    EOS 60D with 18-135mm lens: $831.36

EF 40mm f/2.8 STM: $127.99
    EF 70-200mm f/4L IS: $863.36

Lots of other cameras and lenses available too...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 24th February 2013 at 09:51 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Canon USA sale on refurbished items

I was just reviewing offerings from a competitor and many of their cameras listed were out of stock. Did you see the same at the Canon site?

Real Name
    Richard

I did not notice if these were out of stock. I am fighting the urge to get the 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens...

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I did not notice if these were out of stock. I am fighting the urge to get the 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens...
    I use one on a 4/3rds camera 90% of the camera's infield use.

I checked your link and all those listed are in stock. That's a big price drop on the 60D.

Real Name
    Andrew

I would like a 5D MKII - so if anyone's offering.....

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    ... I am fighting the urge to get the 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens...
    giiiiive iiiiiiiinnnnnn....

Canon USA sale on refurbished items

5Dii, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM. iso 6400, f/2.8, 1/40s.

For a $150 lens, it's pretty damn sharp.

Real Name
    Mike Goodwin

I also purchased my 7D refurbished about a year ago for $1400USD. A great buy at the time and I'm pleased with the body. Currently looking for a 70x200 IS II so will keep look at that site. Just had something interesting happen, while shooting the National Hot Rod Drag Races here in Phoenix. After shooting for several hours, I pressed the shutter button and nothing happened. Top panel still showed what it was suppose to show but no shutter button ability. Turned the camera off and the top LCD continued to show the display. Pulled the battery, reinserted it and away I went for the rest of the races. First time anything like that has happened.

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by koolkat View Post
    I also purchased my 7D refurbished about a year ago for $1400USD. A great buy at the time and I'm pleased with the body. Currently looking for a 70x200 IS II so will keep look at that site. Just had something interesting happen, while shooting the National Hot Rod Drag Races here in Phoenix. After shooting for several hours, I pressed the shutter button and nothing happened. Top panel still showed what it was suppose to show but no shutter button ability. Turned the camera off and the top LCD continued to show the display. Pulled the battery, reinserted it and away I went for the rest of the races. First time anything like that has happened.
    Wow. Exact same thing happened to me this afternoon. Turned it off and on a couple of times with same results as you. Returned to the house, pulled the battery and removed the lens and was going to let it sit overnight. Good to know it came back for you! Mine is a refurbished 7D about a month out of warranty.

Real Name
    Bobo

Something similar happened to me too. Turned out I had accidentally pushed the lock button.

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Something similar happened to me too. Turned out I had accidentally pushed the lock button.
    All works fine this morning. Bobo, I am really hoping it is something that simple but on testing this morning, it is not the Lock button. But pushing something accidentally was definitely a possibility the way I was holding it.

Sorry, Richard for sidetracking the thread. Thanks for posting this because I do have a few items I'd like to check on. I still like the idea of refurb items.

Real Name
    Richard

No problem on side tracking... When I have virtually any camera problem, the first thing that I do is remove the two batteries and let the camera sit for a while. This has not happened with my 7D but occasionally happened to the 10D when I wanted to ease a number of images. It did not happen all the time and never happened when reformatting the CF card. So I just reformatted the card rather than erase all the images on the card.

Another thing that I will do if any camera is acting quirky, is to revert all the parameters back to the default and then re-customize the parameters to my desires.

I gave in to the urge and ordered the 40mm f/2.8 lens; more on a whim than any great need for that lens. However, at $127 (USD) plus a couple of dollars for California State Sales Tax, the urge to play with a new lens won over my rational idea that I really don't need this lens.

I hope that I use it more than I have used the 135mm f/2.8 Soft Focus lens that I bought a couple of years ago on an equally irrational whim. However, it might be fun to shoot for a day with a pair of cameras and only the 40mm and the 135mm lenses. It would remind me of old times - shooting with a pair of prime lenses instead of a pair of zooms...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 26th February 2013 at 03:44 PM.

Real Name
    Ramesh Hari mohan (Hari)

Hi Richard,
    thanks for this info. But the thought haunts me that its still a refurbished one. What do you think of them with regard to their credibility. and what is your thoughts on a refurbished lens..