Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Printing with dark color

Real Name
    Jeff

Printing with dark color

I want to print a photo of mine on canvas, but I am concerned that there are so many dark tones and colors that it may not print very well. It looks fine on my monitor (which is set at 50% of possible brightness), but I have heard that prints will end up darker than what a monitor shows. Here is the photo. What would you advise? Should I lighten it before sending it to a commercial printer? (I don't have a decent printer myself.). Can you point me to a decent tutorial about color rendition when printing? I can't seem to find the answer. Thanks in advance.

Printing with dark color

Real Name
    John

Re: Printing with dark color

Here is a link.

http://www.canvaspeople.com/canvas-p...oto-on-canvas/

Have you tried printing on standard photo paper to see if the darks hold up.

True brightness levels can be difficult to judge without a properly calibrated monitor.

However, going by this uncalibrated monitor, I can't see any serious problem.

But canvas printing can look slightly different. Colin is the person to ask; I haven't done any canvas prints for a while.

As John said, can you do a test print on a basic printer using normal paper?

Some cheaper printers do give incorrect results, but if it looks good on a basic printer it should be better on a real professional machine.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Jeff: I would not send it off to a commerical printer, unless I knew their work and could work with them. That is for a image that I feel very strong about. Most commerical printes want it as a high quality jpeg, if you feel strongly about this image than go to a couple of photographer galleries and talk to them about where they get their images done or who they would suggest.
    I feel that the image will print on the dark side and you will lose whatever detail that you had there. The only way to find out would be to have a small proof done, and if it does than you can adjust either the overall brightness or get selective and try to only bring up the details in the shadows. If either of these is the case you want to work on the complete file not a jpeg file to make the adjustments. Then do another proof, adjust if you need it and repeat. Most higher end printers will work with you, on your files as they know the printer and what it can and cannot do on the choosen stock. Do not forget sharpening the image for the final size, remember printing a image is a complete different ketter of fish and if you want that image because it is special to you it will cost.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Dan

If you have software that can softproof, contact the lab you will use to get the ICC for that paper on their printers. Then softproof using it.

You could also order a small print from the lab to test it.

My guess is that the major change is that the bright colors will seem less luminescent.

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Jeff:
    The quickest (and cheapest) test is to send a copy to Costco through their web site. You can have an 8x10 test print done for a buck or two. That will give you an idea of how it will come out. Then you can adjust through a commercil lab if you need to do so.

Real Name
    Andrew

I usually use Costco but for any special prints I would go to another printer I use. I can sit down with him and view the rendition on his screen (better than mine) and we can both make minor adjustments until it looks right. Print it then evaluate the print for improvements, make them on the screen then reprint. I've watch the printer work with a photographer for over two hours and multiple prints to get exactly what they wanted. That was the most extreme example and not one most of us would follow. Search out a local printer that will offer the same level of support. It will be a bit more expensive but if it's really a shot you are infatuated with it may be worth it for you.