Thread: Jet-setting, Glam, Rock 'n'Roll, Supermodel Shoot II

Real Name
    Terry

Jet-setting, Glam, Rock 'n'Roll, Supermodel Shoot II

Ahh, the Good Life! Surrounded by Supermodels all day…

I’m living the Dream!

If there is one thing I have learned about being a Jet-setting, Glam, Rock ‘n Roll, Supermodel photographer/Papa is that you can’t do something for one Grandsupermodel without doing something for all of them.

Supermodels are so temperamental!

So here is #1 Grandsupermodel!

She is a (shudder) teenager! May God help us all!

Jet-setting, Glam, Rock 'n'Roll, Supermodel Shoot II

Re: Jet-setting, Glam, Rock 'n'Roll, Supermodel Shoot II

Excellent. Your other portrait was good but I prefer this pose. A natural but confident expression.

Real Name
    Bruce

Very nice photograph. Bruce

Real Name
    Andrew

Nice job on both shots Terry. I'm very impressed! That's about all I can say! I think your granddaughters should be very happy with those ones.

PS - can I come over some day to take a quick peak at your lighting? I'm slowly figuring out positioning, and have even put some effort in to studying some of the more classical lighting setups (can't break rules until you learn them... and all that), but the modifiers is my next step - they still seem to elude me, and I find myself using raw flash (unless I'm using the strobes), just to save myself from wasting energy, and time.

I am striving to make my portraits look like this.

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Excellent. Your other portrait was good but I prefer this pose. A natural but confident expression.
    Thank you, Geoff. Sometimes you get lucky! I find that getting them involved in the shoot (i.e. letting them see at all times what is going on in the camera, explain the lighting, let them help me set the stage, and let them in the driver's seat with some of the retouch work) inspires them to have fun with all aspects of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Very nice photograph. Bruce
    Thank you for saying, Bruce. I appreciate you taking the time to view.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    Nice job on both shots Terry. I'm very impressed! That's about all I can say! I think your granddaughters should be very happy with those ones.
    Thank you Andrew. They are really happy with these and what is more they had more fun this shoot than I have ever seen them have both in front and behind the camera! At their age we just figure we are lucky that they still want to come spend time with us! Maybe they will want to come back and if photography is a means to this end, then count me in!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    PS - can I come over some day to take a quick peak at your lighting? I'm slowly figuring out positioning, and have even put some effort in to studying some of the more classical lighting setups (can't break rules until you learn them... and all that), but the modifiers is my next step - they still seem to elude me, and I find myself using raw flash (unless I'm using the strobes), just to save myself from wasting energy, and time.
    Of course Andrew! You are always welcome in my home, sir. Just let me know and I'll fire off the Barby, lay in a supply of good libations, and we can talk photography until the cows come home!

Real Name
    Lex

Solid portrait, Terry. Since your grandsupermodel's wearing all black with dark hair, separating her from the background might have been trouble, but you nailed it. Natural pose, great hair, and nice, even light.

One of these days I need to get some proper large light mods for my remotes. So far I'm one of those small-flash nutters, but there's no replacement for proper studio strobes.

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by RustBeltRaw View Post
    Solid portrait, Terry. Since your grandsupermodel's wearing all black with dark hair, separating her from the background might have been trouble, but you nailed it. Natural pose, great hair, and nice, even light.

One of these days I need to get some proper large light mods for my remotes. So far I'm one of those small-flash nutters, but there's no replacement for proper studio strobes.
    Thank you Lex. I agree there really is no substitute for nice studio strobes. This shot, however, was shot with all Speedlites.

Real Name
    Richard

Lovely image of a beautiful young lady. I am mesmerized by her enchanting eyes. As a minor suggestion, I might crop a bit of the top of her hair to eliminate the highlight from the hairlight. I also wish that her T-shirt did not have white lettering. My eyes are drawn to bright areas. Cropping off a bit of the lettering might place more emphasis on her face/eyes. But these are just minor points for a lovely image...

Real Name
    Lex

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    Thank you Lex. I agree there really is no substitute for nice studio strobes. This shot, however, was shot with all Speedlites.
    Dang it. There goes my excuse.

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I also wish that her T-shirt did not have white lettering.
    Hi Richard!

Thanks for taking the time to comment, sir.

I wish the same thing! When I gave her the “Is that what you are wearing for your shoot?” she responded with some drivel about her favorite band, favorite T-shirt, how she needed to be photographed in this particular shirt because yada, blah, yada…

Ironically, she brought some really nice clothing to wear.

Jeez Richard! I swear she wore me down in about 5 minutes so I just let it ride!

One shoot I did involved a teenager with whom I had a pre-shoot conference. Told him (and his mother) what I preferred he wear and why. He agreed to do so. He showed up for the shoot in the rattiest, crappiest T-shirt he owned with ink pen marks on it and hadn't been washed in a month!

And what's worse is that his mother let him do it! I could have strangled them both!

Makes me want to shoot puppies Brother!

Real Name
    Richard

Don't worry Terry... I know how it is dealing with kids - especially your own kids/grand-kids.

I shot my older step-daughter's wedding and absolutely hated the experience. Not because the photography was any problem, it was a piece of cake. The beautiful young lady was a photographer's dream come true as a bride; so that was no problem. I hated it because I wasn't sharing this very important event with my wife, her mother. I felt left out and not part of the wedding.

I made up my mind that I would never shoot my younger step daughter's wedding. I wanted to share at least one wedding with my wife.

I didn't count on the pursuasiveness of a twenty-two year old female in concert with her older sister and my wife... "You shot Judy's wedding! Why can't you shoot mine?" (Pouting mouth and tearful eyes...) "Yes, I love it when I tell all my friends that my step father shot this album" (this from my older step daughter)... "You know darling, I wouldn't mind you not sitting with me if you are shooting the wedding" (this from my wife).

"O.K.... I give up. I'll shoot it." (me after being worn down)

Then from my wife... "You had better see about renting a tuxedo..."

Me... "I can't shoot a wedding dressed in a monkey suit..."

From my wife and daughter... "This is a formal wedding, the father of the bride can't wear jeans and a T-shirt" (This one was news to me).

Anyway... I want to put this on record: Shooting a summer wedding dressed in a tuxedo is one of the hardest things I ever did. However, it was harder to deny my wife and step daughters.

So, I know what you mean about being worn down! However, your grandsupermodel is a beautiful gal and would be beautiful in a burlap bag!

Real Name
    Alfred Forns

Outstanding portrait Terry Can't imagine how it could be improved, outstanding work !!

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Aforns View Post
    Outstanding portrait Terry Can't imagine how it could be improved, outstanding work !!
    Thank you Alfred. I sure appreciate you saying.

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I didn't count on the pursuasiveness of a twenty-two year old female in concert with her older sister and my wife... "You shot Judy's wedding! Why can't you shoot mine?" (Pouting mouth and tearful eyes...) "Yes, I love it when I tell all my friends that my step father shot this album" (this from my older step daughter)... "You know darling, I wouldn't mind you not sitting with me if you are shooting the wedding" (this from my wife).

"O.K.... I give up. I'll shoot it." (me after being worn down)

Then from my wife... "You had better see about renting a tuxedo..."

Me... "I can't shoot a wedding dressed in a monkey suit..."

From my wife and daughter... "This is a formal wedding, the father of the bride can't wear jeans and a T-shirt" (This one was news to me).
    Richard, I have to admit I had a chuckle when I read this!

I know it ain't funny, but they had you out-gunned from the git-go man!

You never even stood a chance!

What you did is , in my opinion, photography at its finest! Even if after that Heartstring-jerking gang attack you had no choice!

Well done!

Real Name
    Steve

I think it is marvellous, maybe the light on top of the head could be a little darker but the lighting is brilliant, especailly on the hair at shoulder level.

Real Name
    Terry

Thank you Steve.

That means a lot coming from you, sir.