Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Words of wisdom (or maybe not)

Real Name
    mat

Pretentious ? Moi ?

I'd really appreciate some feedback.
    11 years ago, I took this photo with a Canon P&S, to be truthful the paper was blank when I came across this antique typewriter, I couldn't help myself !
    I wanted to write something along the lines of 'once upon a time' but that seemed to obvious so i went for this, but with the benefit of hindsight it seems overly biblical.
    My desire was to take a photo which set up some sort of scene but left the viewer to fill in the blanks, I guess I was trying to be clever/deep etc.
    I'd like to know if you think this is 'interesting',as in well composed and executed, or actually a bit dull and self indulgent (should I continue with this sort of shot)
    I have tweaked the shadows to bring out more detail in the typwriter but am undergoing 'self-teaching and feel inept and clumbsy in photoshop so PP advice hugely welcome.
    Words of wisdom (or maybe not)
    Last edited by moopy goops; 12th February 2013 at 09:03 PM.

Re: Words of wisdom (or maybe not)

Too late now but I suppose having one key 'wedged' at the beginning of it's stroke would leave the viewer pondering over what was coming next.

Even having the wording 'disappearing' off the right frame edge would leave a bit of a question over the next letter.

Creating something along those lines would be easy with a bit of cut and paste.

It's always worth recording old machinery though, even typewriters.

Real Name
    mat

Thanks Geoff, do you think this crop makes the words any more compelling ?
    Bit gutted to think my attempt at "art' might be better suited to mechanical memoirs !!
    Last edited by moopy goops; 12th February 2013 at 09:41 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

When such a small depth of field is being used, it's really important to control the part that's in focus. That would be the phrase typed on the paper. Unfortunately, it's out of focus. Notice that the sharpest part of the image is very near the bottom of the frame.

Though the concept might be a bit contrived, I still think it's worth pursuing, especially if you would enjoy working it.

I was thinking of something like this Mat.