Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Winter Wheat C&C

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Winter Wheat C&C

Field of harvested wheat with snow drifts and a willow on the hill top. The patterns of the wheat and snow with the lone tree grabbed my attention. It was nice to see some colour again as a result of a recent slight melt after months of a monochrome world.

I slightly saturated the colour to enhance the wheat, did a slight S curve on the levels and sharpened it a bit.

Off to New Zealand tomorrow, perhaps there might be some slight colour there?

Winter Wheat C&C

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Winter Wheat C&C

I like the idea and the composition. But the snow is really reflecting the sky and, as a result, I wasn't sure that it was snow until your text told us so.

But since you're off to the other side of the world, it's a fairly minor point! Have fun.

Real Name
    Bobo

Nice simple and clean shot. I like.

Around these parts it is hard to get snow to reflect the blue sky unless it top layer is melting which then acts like a mirror. There is some blue even in fresh snow but mostly in the shadow areas.

Real Name
    Andrea

Dear Trevor,

maybe it is my monitor but your picture looks a little blurred. Also the wheat in the center.

Andrea

Trevor,
    I like the lines and composition!
    anyway, I'm not sure about your saturation: IMHO the grass has a colour that reminds me the mature wheat, and it fights with the sense of winter and snow. What about de-saturate a bit the yellows?
    and have you tried a B&W version?

thanks for sharing
    cheers
    Nicola

Real Name
    Bobo

Nicola - the "grass" is the remaining stalks of cut wheat. The colour is about right from what I see around here.

Real grass after being submerged in snow for a while will come out a very dark or "rotten" green or almost black.

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

I would just like to see less brightness throughout the image. The sky appears to be cloudy; if so, darkening the image might bring more texture to the clouds.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Nicola - the "grass" is the remaining stalks of cut wheat. The colour is about right from what I see around here.

Real grass after being submerged in snow for a while will come out a very dark or "rotten" green or almost black.
    yes,
    it's wheat, not grass, you're right.
    But let me say (a bit out of topic) that I've always seen the grass yellow-brown coloured after bein under the snow. It's what happen on my mountain and what I saw in my last tour in Scotland in April...

Real Name
    Bobo

Yes that is how it should be but the we get mushy green here after snow. Usually still green in winters and dry weather. Will try to find a pic.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

God eye Andrea: the lower half is out of focus and tree is blurred. The tree is blurry from motion as the wind was reasonably strong especially on the ridge top. We have a wind here called the Chinook, it brings warm temperatures (well warm by minus 20 standards it was plus 2 that morning) but can be quite breezy. The foreground wheat is out of focus as the point of focus is is the middle of the hillside.

I am away from the computer at home so now picture processing ability.
    Thanks for the other comments and I will bear them in mind.

Trevor
    Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post
    Dear Trevor,

maybe it is my monitor but your picture looks a little blurred. Also the wheat in the center.

Andrea

Real Name
    Andrea

When I saw your picture, while the composition was nice, there were something disturbing. Then I realized what it was, the image looked slightly blurred. I was not sure it was your picture, or the rendering on my monitor.

I never experienced the Chinook, we do not have it here, but I read a lot about it. With your picture it is the first time I see it

Do not worry about processing the picture. Have a good time, and good light, in New Zealand.

Andrea