Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: just been experiementing

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

just been experiementing

Hi guys, I was bored and decided to do a bit of a experiment. I have ideas for shots that requires compositing myself for other SP ideas, so i thought i would try out a tutorial i found on the tube(yes alot of good tuts on there) that requires a white/whitish background and/or foreground that dosnt really require alot of light to do, So instead of putting on my boots with a sore foot and walk up to the shed and get my white fabric and find a way to secure it without having to set up my DIY PVC backdrop stand in my bedroom, i decided to use the wall, i originally wanted a full body shot on which i could of done but requires the fabric for the floor. But i didnt get it so a 3/4ish shot will do.

I used three YN-460 flashes, one shooting through an umbrella at 1/2 power at camera left, one bare at 1/75 reflecting of whitish wall to camera right and one on the floor pointed up at my face at 1/64 bare(could of went a stop or two higher there). The camera settings were f5.6(next time will be a few stops up) 1/160th at ISO 200. Focused at 42mm.

Here is the result, im not entirely happy with this but it gave me an insight at how i can lay out my plans for future images. It is a relatively small image due to i havent found a good focus point and probebly due to the f-stop, so thinking f.8-f.11 to get me a little leave way so i dont have to really worry about exact placing of myself.

So again here it is

just been experiementing
    experiement with white! by AllenLennon, on Flickr

Real Name
    Greg

Re: just been experiementing

Interesting project Allen. You're right about the lower flash it could have been bumped up a little as there is hardly any detail in the bottom third of the image. The lighting around your head and shoulders looks pretty good to me but the image looks a bit soft in the face and eye's.
    Was that a remote behind your back or did you use a self timer for the shot.
    Cheers, Greg

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

Re: just been experiementing

I used self timer. And yes. For when I try again I will muck around with lighting