Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Save in PSE-10

Real Name
    Richard

Save in PSE-10

I often receive a large number of images of rescue dogs as attachments to emails from various fosters...

I always need to edit these images to improve what they look like prior to posting the images on www.petfinder.com, our dog rescue site...

I was using Photoshop Elements 10 (all I could afford) and when I edited the image I had opened, I could not replace the image just by saving it.

When I was using PSE-10 and I edited an image and wanted to save it, PSE-10 would force me to save the image as "image title_edited_1.jpeg". It would then keep both copies of the image - original JPEG (from the email) and the edited copy. That would mean an additional step of deleting the JPEG from the email - unless I wanted my hard drive filled with junk...

Recently I was able to go back to Photoshop (this time CS6) because of an unusual sale on that product. After I edit the image which I have already named, all I need to do is click save and Photoshop would inform me that there was already an image with this name saved and ask me if I wanted to replace that image. Clicking "yes" would replace it with the new, edited image and I would not need to go back and delete the original emailed version.

Why the difference?

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Save in PSE-10

We receive a variety of documents as email attachments that we need to edit in one programme or another. Many arrive with the file permission set to R(read) some editing software seems to ignore the setting and will edit and re-save with the same name, other software forces us to rename when saving and some software will not let us edit at all. Usually the file attribute can be changed before editing or by making a copy of the file then modifying the file permissions attribute. (PDF files are sometimes the most stubborn and have passwords in them but I can usually beat them into submission)

I am not sure if this is what is happening to you but now I just do whatever I have to and don't puzzle over it any more.

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Why the difference?
    No idea, never been able to find and answer. Would happily chip in to pay for an assassin to kill whoever coded it that way.

Real Name
    J stands for John

This sounds like the reason I forsoke an early Adobe product originally and went to PSP and in the latest versions I have the choice of icons to click on either to 'save' which over writes the original file or to 'save as' which enables me to save as another file in whatever system I want to use. I also, thanks to somebody telling me where to find it in PSP, have got the programme to save with minimal loss even using jpg [ about 5% ] which I imagine would be a useful feature with possibly sub-adequate images to start with? But I guess since you got a good price PS6 all this is academic