Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Complicated Sunset

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

A Complicated Sunset

Born earlier on tonight

16 minute exposure - but the funny thing is my EXIF data at this end is showing 30 Seconds in Photoshop and (approx) 16 minutes in Bridge ... can't figure that one out!

A Complicated Sunset

16 Minutes @ F22 @ ISO 100 - EF 16-35mm/F2.8L USM @ 31mm - Canon 1Ds3 - Singh-Ray Vari-ND Filter @ approx 7 stops + 3 Stop Reverse GND Filter.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 31st October 2009 at 07:38 AM.

Real Name
    Steve

Re: A Complicated Sunset

Wow, beautiful. We're not worthy!

Real Name
    Steve

Your right; it is complicated. What is a Singh-Ray Vari-ND and reverse GND filter? It is a wonderful picture but a great deal of work.

I'll let you do the complicated stuff and I'll stick to the simple stuff for a bit.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Your right; it is complicated. What is a Singh-Ray Vari-ND and reverse GND filter?
    I made the mistake of looking at Singh Ray filters when I asked a similar question. Very expensive is all you need to know

Google it and prepare to fall of your chair.

Real Name
    Steve

Yes well; it is not something I will be delving into. I will just try and use photoshop to merge the images, well GIMP really or picturenaut.

Real Name
    Kori

As always Colin!!!!! Awesome doesn't even come close to what this is! Thanks for sharing!

I too fell off my chair when checking out those filters!

Great photo Colin!

I have a question: How does using the Singh-Ray Vari-ND Filter add to the photo (other than forcing you to slow your shutter speed dramatically)? Why not just use a faster shutter speed?

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by KentDub View Post
    Great photo Colin!

I have a question: How does using the Singh-Ray Vari-ND Filter add to the photo (other than forcing you to slow your shutter speed dramatically)? Why not just use a faster shutter speed?
    So, let me answer this and see if Colin can add anything, just as an exercise for me:

The Reverse GND filter takes care of the bright sky in on the horizon in the middle. It has a darker area in the middle with the darkness gradually fading towards the two ends of the filter with a 3 stop difference between the dark and more transparent areas.

The VariND plus a very small aperture is used to increase exposure time and give the smoothing effect on the sky (clouds) and the water surface.

How did I do Colin?

PS: The hard part, as I have recently discovered, is actually the focusing (althought in this case the depth of field is large enough) and to keep the camera steady for such a long time. Everytime I tried it so far, it came out blurry. I have been using a very sturdy Gitzo tripod but I guess the windy weather was too much for the exposure time.
    Last edited by Alis; 29th October 2009 at 08:00 PM.

Colin

I have to confess that I have not been a great fan of the Photo mag landscapes that seem to abound everywhere at the moment but you have taken this to the next level. The quality of this image is outstanding and so polished. For me it is your finest execution so far. It takes some skill to rise above the mass of IKEA wall hangers that are out there but you have done it fine style with this.

You have to improve on perfection now. so no pressure there

Steve

Doh! Yeah that makes sence now that I look at the photo closer - thanks Alis.

Real Name

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the kind words

@ Ali - spot on thanks. Perhaps I should just give you my password and go on vacation (Although I think we'd both get busted when "I" started posting photos of your son!).

With regard to Singh-Ray filters ...

On one hand they're not cheap, but on the other, there are mitigating factors ...

- Once you have them, you have them for life (if you look after them)

- When you consider what all the rest of your camera and post-processing gear cost, then aren't they good value for money when they can "double the quality" of an image for just a small fraction of the cost of everything else you used in the shot?

- The likes of the Vari-ND performs the functions of a 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, & 8 stop ND filters - it's a BEAUTIFUL piece of kit

Just some food for thought!

Here's a shot taken earlier in the shoot, but without the fiters ... (Minimal PP - mostly warts and all) ...

A Complicated Sunset

Thats one very nice shot Colin!
    Well done

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post

@ Ali - spot on thanks. Perhaps I should just give you my password and go on vacation (Although I think we'd both get busted when "I" started posting photos of your son!).

Thanks! Just trying to see if my internship is going anywhere.

I was trying to beat you in answer the question and rushed so much that I forgot to mention that it is a fantastic picture. However, I was wondering about one thing: why did you leave the small object (not sure what it is, coming out of the water in front right side of the image) and did not take it out. Is it that you like it to be there or it would mess up smooth water surface if you cloned it away?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Alis View Post
    However, I was wondering about one thing: why did you leave the small object (not sure what it is, coming out of the water in front right side of the image) and did not take it out. Is it that you like it to be there or it would mess up smooth water surface if you cloned it away?
    Hi Ali,

Thanks for the kind words. I think it's what they call a "Trig Station" (a navigational marker) (the mariners amongst us here might be able to confirm this).

I thought about cloning it out, but (a) it's tricker than it seems when you're doing it on a high-res image that's going to be printed BIG, but mostly (b) if it were cloned out I think it would leave the image looking a little too symmetrical. Think of it as being a bit like Cindy Crawford's "beauty spot"

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Ali,

Thanks for the kind words. I think it's what they call a "Trig Station" (a navigational marker) (the mariners amongst us here might be able to confirm this).

I thought about cloning it out, but (a) it's tricker than it seems when you're doing it on a high-res image that's going to be printed BIG, but mostly (b) if it were cloned out I think it would leave the image looking a little too symmetrical. Think of it as being a bit like Cindy Crawford's "beauty spot"
    That is what I thought.

Where is Cindy Crawford's beauty spot? just curious...

... and the imagination runs wild

Real Name

That is what I thought.

On one of her upper lips off memory (I was more of a Norma Jean guy to be honest!).

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Colin

I have to confess that I have not been a great fan of the Photo mag landscapes that seem to abound everywhere at the moment but you have taken this to the next level. The quality of this image is outstanding and so polished. For me it is your finest execution so far. It takes some skill to rise above the mass of IKEA wall hangers that are out there but you have done it fine style with this.

You have to improve on perfection now. so no pressure there

Steve
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for the many kind words - I'm going to have to wear some kind of neck support if my head swells any bigger though

In all seriousness, I agree with your comments about many landscape photos that I see. I don't want that to sound arrogant - expecially because there are many who can easily hold their own against my style of work - but I DO see many shots on calenders and even in landscape photography books that just leave me cold; often they're executed well enough from a technical point of view - but often the compositions are just plain old "boring". It's probably just a taste thing - a bit like how some people love my work and yet others don't warm to it at all. The trick is to sell to the ones who DO like it I guess!

Real Name
    Jim

Hi Colin,

Beautiful!I love the mood and the colours.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
    Hi Colin,

Beautiful!I love the mood and the colours.
    Thanks Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast