Thread: D3200 vs. D5100

Real Name
    Scott Durham

D3200 vs. D5100

Hello All,
    Im about to pick up a new SLR camera and im having a hard time picking the D3200 or the D5100. I can pick both of them up for the same price, but would picking up the D5100 be a better move? Anyone have opinion and/or experience with these cameras?

Re: D3200 vs. D5100

I have a D5100 and it's a good camera. I put a post on here and a few other forums regarding if there was anything better in the same price range I should have gone with and the answer seems to be no.

I haven't tried a D3200 so couldn't compare the two but it seems the D5100 (in it's price range) is as good as you'll get ~ well more or less anyway

sorry I couldn't be any more help

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

This has been talk about many times. So here are two links from not long back.

Nikon D3200 or Nikon D5100?
    Nikon D3200 vs Nikon D5100 for HDR Landscape/Architecture Photos??

You really can't go wrong with either one there both good cameras.

Real Name
    Scott

Let me start by saying that I have no experience with either camera, but have been doing a substantial amount of reading on both. It is purely on this basis that I offer the following insights:

The D3200 is a relatively new release, but is the bottom of the Nikon DSLR range. As an entry level camera, it will not afford you too many easily accessible controls over your photography and will not contain many of the so-called nice-to-have features of the cameras that are further up the range. Many of the features that this camera does have are menu driven and often cannot be changed on the fly, as is the case with the intermediate and higher level cameras. Having said that, it does contain what amounts to a superb sensor that is probably the best DX sensor at the moment (24mp).

The D5100 is a great intermediate camera, containing more controls on the camera, but still, many selections are menu driven. It contains the same sensor as the D7000, a 16mp that performs very well. I have the D7000 and am very happy with the performance thereof. I have read of many frustrated people wanting more control over their photography without having to go into the menu system, where many of the D5100 functions are managed. Further, this model has already been superseded by the D5200 in many areas of the world, just as the entry model D3100 was more recently superseded by the D3200.

Personally, I prefer to have more rather than less (or difficult to access within the menu systems) control over my photography. As such, I would seriously evaluate the D5200 before purchasing anything. Better still, knowing that I prefer to have easy access to controls on the fly, I would seriously consider the purchase of a second hand / refurbished D7000 rather than either the D3200 or the D5100 new. But each to their own. Note that the announcement of the replacement for the D7000 is expected in the not-too-distant future and that should bring the retail price of new D7000's down, and bring a rush of people to sell their D7000's in anticipation of replacing them with the newer, upgraded model.

Two other things to note. The release of any new model in no way diminishes the quality of any images that can be captured with an "older" model, and secondly, it is the mushy stuff in the skull, 3 inches behind the viewfinder that more often than not determines the quality of an image.

I would suggest that you make a list of things that your camera must have and a list of things that would be nice for your camera to have. Then, based on your requirements, select the most appropriate camera body based on your requirements. ......

Real Name
    Kathy

Just FYI, you do realize there's a 24MP D5200 out there, too, right?

Real Name
    Richard

I don't know much about either amera. I have a hard enough time to keep track of the Canon cameras being issued.

However, here is the snapshop.com comparison for what it is worth...

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D3200-vs-Nikon-D5100

Real Name
    John

If the two cameras are for two entirely different users why are they being compared to each other? Wouldn't it make more sense to compare an entry level Canon to an entry level Nikon? If the user has narrowed down their decision to one model, expertise level of the user should not be basis for the decision. There must be something qualitative to the entry level choice for it to merit such a comparison.

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

I like to look at it one or two ways.

Get the Nikon D3200 if you are working on improving your shooting, and just want easy DSLR quality shots

Get the Nikon D5100 if you are planning to do lots of DSLR videography and want something you won't need to put aside even after you get really good.

Real Name
    Scott Durham

I did look into the d5200, it a little more than I can spend on a camera right now. I don't plan on doing any videography. But I'm leaning towards the D5100.

Real Name
    Lennart Elg

I have a D5200, and a D3100 as backup. Two things you might miss on the D3200 - depending on what you plan to shoot - are the movable LCD screen which is very handy for closeups in awkward popsitions etc, and autobracketing, the ability to shoot a series of shots with different exposures.

Real Name
    Scott Durham

Well I took the plunge and picked up a D5100. Im going to try it out this weekend at International Motorcycle Show here in Chicago. Ill let you all know how it works out.

D3200 vs. D5100

Hi I was really leaning towards the d5100 around Black Friday and then I started reading about the a57. I still can't make up my mind which one to get. Please post a review after you attend the motorbike show

Real Name
    Scott Durham

I had a lots fun using the d5100. Easy to use, crisp photos, and the movable screen is a pig plus. I didn't use all of the different setting and I'm still figure out all of the functions. I'm very happy with the camera as of so far. My photo skills need a little improvement but you have to start some where. Here are a few of the photos from the show. Feel free to leave me any suggestions or helpful pointers.

D3200 vs. D5100

D3200 vs. D5100

D3200 vs. D5100