Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Bored in BC

Real Name
    Monte Comeau

Bored in BC

Winter is dragging out here...been snowing and nasty for way too long.

Stuck in house playing with some focus stacking.

Bored in BC

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Bored in BC

Considering such high-quality results, I look forward to you being perpetually bored. Very well done!

Real Name
    Monte Comeau

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Considering such high-quality results, I look forward to you being perpetually bored. Very well done!
    Ha ha thanks. I have actually been fooling around with different photography methods over the winter, having fun. But...in a couple of months the migratory birds had better be on high alert in this area because I am getting a bit stir crazy not being able to get out on the lakes and trails.

Real Name
    Mike

Bored in BC

Wow very crisp. Btw hello from up north. We might have a tiny bit more snow to deal with up here don't let it stop you from getting out.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Monte. Excellent shot with nice colors.

I can see the edges have a light line next to the dark line, which I believe results from sharpening. I suggest that before sharpening, create an edge mask and blur it before applying the sharpening. That will prevent the over sharpened edges, but still allow sharpening in the other areas. If you use Photoshop and would like to know how, just ask.

Real Name
    Monte Comeau

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Curtis View Post
    Hi Monte. Excellent shot with nice colors.

I can see the edges have a light line next to the dark line, which I believe results from sharpening. I suggest that before sharpening, create an edge mask and blur it before applying the sharpening. That will prevent the over sharpened edges, but still allow sharpening in the other areas. If you use Photoshop and would like to know how, just ask.
    I noticed this as well. It is worse in this small image but still evident in the full rez one.
    And yes, please do share how you do this edge mask procedure. I have an idea but any information and suggestions would be more than welcomed.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by BCrose View Post
    Winter is dragging out here...been snowing and nasty for way too long.

Stuck in house playing with some focus stacking.

Bored in BC
    Beautiful, looks like I could reach out and touch the petals!!

Real Name
    Giacomo

Quote Originally Posted by BCrose View Post
    I noticed this as well. It is worse in this small image but still evident in the full rez one.
    Veeeeery beautiful!
    I never tried the focus stacking but I'm willing to learn more on this technique.

About the problem of sharpening, I read somewhere that, when we intend to resize the image, sharpening should be done only after resizing, because it can actually worsen the resized image. You could try (or maybe you already did it separately on both full res. and resized images) and see what happens...

Also, a question for Ken:
    I don't use Photoshop, I do PP in GIMP: could you briefly describe the procedure for the edge mask? I'm not sure, but maybe the same effect can be obtained also with GIMP.
    Thanks
    Last edited by GiacomoD; 27th January 2013 at 07:45 PM.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

BCrose and GiacomoD, rather than responding to you in this posting, I started a new posting entitled Sharpening Mask. I hope the information is helpful.

Giacomo, I have Gimp but rarely use it. I am sorry that I do not have time to try this as I suspect you can do something similar in Gimp. Hopefully, the step-by-step directions I gave will give you a hint of what to do.

Real Name
    Monte Comeau

Thanks Ken. Much appreciated.