Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Backlit Crystals

Real Name
    Toby Leeson

Backlit Crystals

It's been awhile since I've posted here, took a hiatus. Seems I didn't take as many pictures either, now looking back on 2012.

I live in the mountains of Colorado, where the mornings are often -25 to -12 C. When it's that cold, moisture in the air gets supercooled and forms large well formed ice crystals on everything, especially vegetation, trees and what not. If you get the angle of the sun just right, those crystals light up like an angel in the sky. Fantastic. I love capturing pictures of them. The tricky part is that in order for the crystals to light you, you have shoot straight into the sun, so exposure and contrast are challenging to get right. Here is an example I took with my iPhone 4s.

Backlit Crystals

I am search of better compositions and to really capture the shining crystals ... you'll see ...

Real Name
    Toby Leeson

Re: Backlit Crystals

Here is another one I posted here two winters ago. This one is side-lit.

Backlit Crystals

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Tobman View Post
    It's been awhile since I've posted here, took a hiatus. Seems I didn't take as many pictures either, now looking back on 2012.

I live in the mountains of Colorado, where the mornings are often -25 to -12 C. When it's that cold, moisture in the air gets supercooled and forms large well formed ice crystals on everything, especially vegetation, trees and what not. If you get the angle of the sun just right, those crystals light up like an angel in the sky. Fantastic. I love capturing pictures of them. The tricky part is that in order for the crystals to light you, you have shoot straight into the sun, so exposure and contrast are challenging to get right. Here is an example I took with my iPhone 4s.

Backlit Crystals

I am search of better compositions and to really capture the shining crystals ... you'll see ...
    Hi Toby,
    I really like this shot, nice composition IMO.
    Thanks for sharing.
    John

Real Name
    Bobo

Very nice shot.

The blurred edges just inside the frame tend to take away from the overall sharpness of the shot.

Real Name
    Sergio

Interesting perspective but I like it. Great shot for the iphone.