Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Help with Snow please

Real Name
    Joanne Van Praag

Help with Snow please

At last the snow has arrived and as beautiful and wonderful the views are I am always so disappointing with my images as they are never anything like what my eyes see. I would love for anyone to give me some pointers on photographing snow scenes in grey cloudy conditions (like the set I have taken below) or bright sunlight. The images below are of my 300+ yrs Georgian Hunting Lodge in South East Wales which my Hubby and I are renovating and views from our garden.
    Look forward to all help given as I intend to put the snow boots on tomorrow and try to take some photos of the surrounding countryside. Thanks

Help with Snow please

[Help with Snow please

Help with Snow please

Help with Snow please

Real Name
    Jon

Re: Help with Snow please

Joanne, I wish I could help, but I am in the same boat you are when it comes to snow shots. I will be following closely hoping to pick up a few tips also. Your hunting lodge is much more interesting than anything we have here. I look forward to more photos.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Joanne,

Looking at this series, I see colour temperature/toning differences, but I doubt that's it.

Each could have had the exposure pushed a little more maybe, although that risks making the "grey sky" white, which may not be what you want.

Both of which could be corrected in PP if you shot RAW.

What do you think the problem is?

Real Name
    Steve

It really depends on what your shooting, and what metering mode you are using. I would start somewhere around +1 1/3 EV and use spot metering mode. (spot meter off the snow ) Then review my histogram and make shure nothing is clipping. You may get away with +1 2/3 EV. If you want great detail, very soft light is needed. Usually the erie light, right after the storm, gives excellent shots.

This is one with good light, like i described. I actually underexposed this(0EV) and had to bring the levels up in post. I should have exposed it at least at +2/3 to +1.

Help with Snow please

I spot metered off the crow and exposed this one at -1EV. (this actually over exposed the crow a little bit) As you can see, the snow in the background is just about blown out. I prob. had some clipping on this one.

Help with Snow please

Pretty much just expose to the right, without clipping anything, and you will be ok. And don't forget to shoot under good soft light.

Real Name
    Remco

Joanne, none of the images you posted have any white in them, perhaps that's what you don't like?
    I had a play with one of them, and just using the 'levels' tool made it pop a bit more.