Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Red

Real Name
    Steve

Red

I was set up for chickadees, and this guy flew in. Full frame shot , except for the square crop to remove the edges........................

Red

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Red

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    I was set up for chickadees, and this guy flew in. Full frame shot , except for the square crop to remove the edges........................
    The bit at the bottom?

No, I get it really.

Nice shot (as usual) Steve.

Cheers,

Real Name
    james

I love shooting yardbirds (songbirds ) in the winter.... wish I could make em look that good.

Real Name
    Paul

Nice, Steve. I wish we had those guys here.

Real Name
    Paul

That is a really good shot. None of our cardinals look that good. Well done.

Paul S

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    The bit at the bottom?

No, I get it really.

Nice shot (as usual) Steve.

Cheers,
    Thanks dave. I know some don't like it, but i like to sign my work.

Real Name
    Kevin

Beautiful shot, Steve

I'm getting into the backyard bird scene, though there appears to be a learning curve. I'm specifically going after cardinals, but they havent seemed to notice yet (I also have an empty barred owl house), I have attracted a small army of squirrels however. Your shot is exactly what I am striving for. Congrats

Real Name
    Sharon

What a cracking shot Steve...I thought the 'Strong' refered to the bird at first because it certainly is a wonderfully strong shade of red.

We don't really get colourful birds here in Scotland so this is a delight to see and so sharp...wonderful.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    Thanks dave. I know some don't like it, but i like to sign my work.
    No, no, you mis-understand, I was humorously suggesting you had captured the whole bird (i.e. in portrait orientation) and cropped the bottom off to make it square.

I guess you shot landscape and chopped off the blank bits either side in reality though.

Silly attempt (on my part) at humour, I must give that up, gets me into more mis-understandings than you'd know!

Real Name
    Connie Keyes

Are familiar with the following site? Looking at this years winners, I have to say yours fits in at the top and many of the posters here have some pretty competitive shots as well.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/roundro...ntest-winners/

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by CLK View Post
    Are familiar with the following site? Looking at this years winners, I have to say yours fits in at the top and many of the posters here have some pretty competitive shots as well.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/roundro...ntest-winners/

Thank you connie, i appreciate the great comments, but...............

No Thanks............................................ ........Just a contest to steal everyone's images.

Terms of Use
    GBBC Photos

Your email will be used only to verify the validity of the content/images provided. You will not be emailed about anything other than the Image Database.

License and Indemnification

I hereby grant to National Audubon Society, Inc. ("NAS") and Cornell Lab of Ornithology (“CLO”) a royalty-free, perpetual license to use the photographic images submitted herewith (the "Work") for any purpose whatsoever. Uses may include, but are not limited to, promotion of NAS & CLO and their projects (including the Great Backyard Bird Count) in any way, including on the web, in print publications, as distributed to the media, and in commercial products. NAS & CLO reserve the right to use/not use any Work as deemed appropriate by NAS & CLO in their sole discretion. No Work will be returned once submitted.

I understand that by checking this online form, I hereby acknowledge that NAS & CLO shall bear no responsibility whatsoever for protecting my work against third party infringement of my copyright interest or other intellectual property rights or other rights I may hold in such Work, and in no way shall be responsible for any losses I may suffer as a result of any such infringement; and I hereby represent and warrant that my Work does not infringe the rights of any other individual or entity.

In exchange for valuable consideration, I do hereby unconditionally release, hold harmless and indemnify NAS & CLO, their directors, officers, members, employees and volunteers of and from all claims, liabilities and losses arising out of or in connection with my participation in the contest, or NAS & CLO's use of my Work. This release and indemnification shall be binding upon me, and my heirs, executors, administrators and assigns.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jamn4ex View Post
    I love shooting yardbirds (songbirds ) in the winter.... wish I could make em look that good.

No reason you can't make them look good, james. If I can do it, anyone can. Start shooting, and post them up. I'd be willing to bet we can make some improvements .

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Nice, Steve. I wish we had those guys here.
    Thanks paul, i didn't know cardinals range was limited to the midwest and eastern states.(had to look it up)

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by PRSearls View Post
    That is a really good shot. None of our cardinals look that good. Well done.

Paul S

Thank you paul. This one was in good shape..............have you ever seen a bald one?

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    Beautiful shot, Steve

I'm getting into the backyard bird scene, though there appears to be a learning curve. I'm specifically going after cardinals, but they havent seemed to notice yet (I also have an empty barred owl house), I have attracted a small army of squirrels however. Your shot is exactly what I am striving for. Congrats

Thanks kevin. Pay attention to the light, direction of light, background, and anything else you can think of , before you place your feeder. Try to place a perch between the feeder, and the direction the birds fly in from, and they will usually land on it, before hopping over to the feeder.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    What a cracking shot Steve...I thought the 'Strong' refered to the bird at first because it certainly is a wonderfully strong shade of red.

We don't really get colourful birds here in Scotland so this is a delight to see and so sharp...wonderful.

Thank you sharon, glad you liked it.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    No, no, you mis-understand, I was humorously suggesting you had captured the whole bird (i.e. in portrait orientation) and cropped the bottom off to make it square.

I guess you shot landscape and chopped off the blank bits either side in reality though.

Silly attempt (on my part) at humour, I must give that up, gets me into more mis-understandings than you'd know!

I would have liked to have done that dave, but i had my focus point set for the chickadees and only had a split second to get this shot. I didn't have a choice but to shoot landscape. (because of the focus point an AI servo mode) I still like it, a nice close-up.