Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Stourhead gardens

Stourhead gardens

Stourhead, Wiltshire, last Tuesday.

The National Trust are supposedly getting twitchy about images of their properties and land, but they still let you take shots, which is just as well. I had to balance carefully halfway down a steep embankment near the water, while a keen groundsman on a John Deere lawn cutter tried to mow me down. He missed.

C+C welcome

Stourhead gardens

Real Name
    Jeroen

Re: Stourhead gardens

A beautifull shot, as always
    What can I say, I think I should clone out those white things in the water. And I feel like my eye has a bit of a problem chosing between the left or the right side of the big tree in the front. Just a thought about it. I don't know if you even should do anything with that thought at all.
    Furthermore the colours and reflections looks so nice. It reminds me to a lovely late-summer day wich seems to be long gone in the cold netherlands

On the left side, you have half a tree with a natural gap between it and the other trees so I would be tempted to crop to that gap which would have the effect of moving the big tree slightly towards the left and make a better balance. It would also help to concentrate the eye towards the far distance. As JK mentioned.

I'm not sure about the ducks; which are too far away to have any real impact, although I don't really find them too distracting.

But in all honesty we are just quibbling about attempting to change 99% perfection into 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by JK6065 View Post
    A beautifull shot, as always
    What can I say, I think I should clone out those white things in the water. And I feel like my eye has a bit of a problem chosing between the left or the right side of the big tree in the front. Just a thought about it. I don't know if you even should do anything with that thought at all.
    Furthermore the colours and reflections looks so nice. It reminds me to a lovely late-summer day wich seems to be long gone in the cold netherlands
    Thanks for the comment. Agree about the ducks, and have removed them. Have also re-scropped the shot to exclude the cut-off tree on the left, which has also moved the big tree more to the left. I must be getting sloppy in my old age...

Stourhead gardens

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    On the left side, you have half a tree with a natural gap between it and the other trees so I would be tempted to crop to that gap which would have the effect of moving the big tree slightly towards the left and make a better balance. It would also help to concentrate the eye towards the far distance. As JK mentioned.

I'm not sure about the ducks; which are too far away to have any real impact, although I don't really find them too distracting.

But in all honesty we are just quibbling about attempting to change 99% perfection into 100%.
    Thanks for the comments, Geoff. See post above.

Are there people walking down the trail? Clone em out

Quote Originally Posted by KentDub View Post
    Are there people walking down the trail? Clone em out
    Nah! they're the ghosts of past critics...

Lovely shot, and I also prefer the cropped image. Stourhead is such a lovely place .. , but I never seem to manage a visit when it's not raining

Real Name
    Jack

Nice shot.
    Did you use a polarizing filter, I can see through the water in the foreground?
    I Agree 2nd image looks better.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jacsul View Post
    Nice shot.
    Did you use a polarizing filter, I can see through the water in the foreground?
    Yes, I did use a polarizer. That's also why the sky is so blue and other colours are so strong. The sun was about 90deg to the camera - the best position for a polarizer.

nice reflection shot! there should have been more space below,than the top, to give the reflection more attention,that it actually deserves with the present framing i am ending up spending my time looking at the top of the pic instead down...a personal feeling

Quote Originally Posted by taken View Post
    nice reflection shot! there should have been more space below,than the top, to give the reflection more attention,that it actually deserves with the present framing i am ending up spending my time looking at the top of the pic instead down...a personal feeling
    I think I agree, but I was very close to the edge of the water, so couldn't get any more water space in the frame.