Real Name
    Matthew

Lamorna Cove,Cornwall,UK

Lamorna Cove,Cornwall,UK

Lamorna Cove 06/01/2013

Real Name
    Koos

Re: Lamorna Cove,Cornwall,UK

I like the way you manipulated the shutter time to get the silky feel of the water. In my opinion some more of the trees to view on the top would make the picture more interesting. Did you crop it, or shoot it like this?

Real Name
    Matthew

Thanks Koos for the reply.

It was my first attempt at varying shutter speeds so i was more focused on capturing the stream more than the surroundings at the time.
    But i fully appreciate what you are saying as i took a picture with more of the trees at a faster shutter speed which i will upload.

But as they say Practice makes (nearly) perfect.

Lamorna Cove,Cornwall,UK

Real Name
    Terri

Hi Matthew,

I really like these shots. I know what you mean about concentrating on one thing at a time! Since you were aiming for the silky look for the water, you've done a great job in executing your vision. The treatment of waterfalls is really up to personal preference. I actually like your second shot better, maybe with a crop just below the sky that kind of draws your eye away from the subject - similar to your original composition. But the reason I like the second better is because there is so much water flowing here that I think the faster shutter speed better portrays the power of the water. I like the silky water look more in scenes that are more serene and the water is not so powerful. Again though, this is just my thoughts. What's important is that you got the shot the way you envisioned.

Real Name
    Ian

The first for me is the more powerful of the two, but each to his own. I would however take slightly more off the top and also crop out the bright green twigs at the bottom. I know Cornwall is much warmer than further north, but have you increased the saturation significantly as it looks marginally too high on these elements and they appear to be in Spring bloom!

Just my thr'p'nce worth.

Real Name
    Matthew

Thanks terri for the comments,

As i have only been a photographer for 11 days now some of the comments have been very positive and for that i realy appriciate.
    At the moment i am trying to get used to the camera as all i have owned before have been point and shoot compacts.
    So joining this website has been the best move i could have made,as all members have been supportive and constructive with their replys.
    I am hoping that with the advice i am getting within a year or so i would have expanded my equipment and shooting Pictures that will satisfy my vision.

Real Name
    Ian

Matthew,

With the photography that you have posted to date, you could have been shooting for years.

Sure we can all, always improve, but it is good to have someone with fresh eyes and a good technique to start with.

You should be very proud.

Real Name
    Dan

As I stated in your intro post, Matthew, you have an excellent eye for composition.

One basic rule of photography is to try and eliminate anything from the frame that doesn't contribute to the image you're trying to portray. It's said "Painting is the art of inclusion while photography is the art of exclusion". So were the trees in upper frame important to your vision? A prior post makes a good point that the bright sky in your second post draws the eye and distracts attention.

Another general rule for moving water has already been mentioned, fast shutter to show power, slow shutter for that silky look for a mystic feeling or to emphasize the greenery etc. In your second post you definately captured the power of the stream. IMO, your first post was neither beast nor foul. Not slow enough to really look silky and not fast enough to emphasize the tumult.

Nice work so far.

Real Name
    Matthew

Thanks Dan

As it was my first attemt at Manual Settings rather than relying on Auto i did not quite get the shutter speed/f settings quite right... i think a lower f setting (something around f22) would have allowed me a longer shutter speed thus giving the required effect.. but i am only learning (and i am sure that i will be learning for a long time yet).. lol.

Ian

Yes i am proud of what i have managed to capture so far... and i hope to over the coming weeks show you pictures of the amazing place i live.