Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Mystery Plane

Real Name
    Patrik

Mystery Plane

Driving around I saw this interesting silhouette of building cranes and as I made a quick shot of them from the car when a plane appeared into the frame. Noticing the strange object on top I had to figure out what it was....
    Isn't that another nice thing about photography, you often get more than you ask for ? [ I over sharpened to get stronger contrast for the plane ]
    Thanks for watching
    Patrik

Mystery Plane

Real Name
    Ian

Re: Mystery Plane

I am certainly no expert on planes, but we quite often used to see AWAC aircraft with a strange rotating 'mushroom' radar device on top. This doesn't look too far removed from that concept, and there are variants. It may actually be a Brazilian built Embraer R-99A Erieye AWACS, as these are known to fly from Elefsis AB, Greece.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airborn...em_.28AWACS.29
    Last edited by shreds; 6th January 2013 at 10:20 AM.

Real Name
    Miltos

The Greek air-force has four modified planes like this one (AWACS like). I thought there are based in Crete but if you shot that in Keratsini it was obviously heading to or from Elefsina military airport which is near by.
    Last edited by MilT0s; 6th January 2013 at 02:26 PM.

Real Name
    Patrik

Ian and Miltos, yes you are both right, these are planes equipped with special radar supplied by Ericsson for search and rescue at sea and it was probably landing at Elefsina.
    Patrik

By using extra sharpening to bring out the plane a little clearer, the water now seems a little over sharpened.

For scenes like this, I normally create a duplicate layer of the background and sharpen that. Then add a Reveal All mask which can be edited to remove the effect from areas which would look better without it.

The same method could be used with a Hide All mask which is edited to just apply the effect to the required areas.

Alternatively, I draw a selection just outside of the area to be sharpened and feather the edges. The sharpening is then just applied to the selected area and the feathering prevents any noticeable hard edges.

But this does assume you have suitable editing software.