Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In conversation with ... Mike Buckley

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

In conversation with ... Mike Buckley

Name: Mike Buckley

CiC: Thank you for agreeing to take part in 'In conversation with ....' here on CiC.

My pleasure, Donald. Thank you for doing everything that you do here.

Please tell us something about your general back-ground. What about your work history? Where you grew up? Things you have done. Anything interesting

Considering that photography is a creative process, it might be interesting to know that I wrote musical arrangements for just about every type of wind instrument ensemble including symphonic band, marching band, jazz band, brass quintet and woodwind quintet with a few other ensembles including a chamber orchestra thrown in for good measure. (Unfortunately, that pun was intended.)

My music was publicly performed regularly beginning when I was 13. Though I stopped writing music long ago and never used music professionally, it's still a kick when every once in awhile people contact me from all over the U.S. about music that I wrote decades ago.

And what about your family life?

My wife of about 30 years and I have no children by design. All of the children that we didn't have thank us daily for not having them.

If you were staying in tonight, what would you choose as one of your favourite books and/or films to keep you entertained, and what you be having as a favourite meal?

One of my favorite luxuries is to cook a meal while I'm not on a schedule. Savoring the aromas that only a cook experiences while chatting with my wife as we enjoy a favorite red wine poured in decadently large glasses is beyond pleasurable.

OK, photography is a given, but what about other hobbies or personal interests?

Personal finance, cooking, wine, classical music, traditional jazz, volunteerism, and the Washington Nationals baseball team are at the top of a very long list of interests that make sleep highly overrated.

I'm also a huge fan of anything and everything having to do with Benjamin Franklin. My favorite quote of his, probably because it also applies to me, is about pride: "Even if I could conceive that I had completely overcome it, I would probably be proud of my humility."

EDITOR PICK #1

Let's get on to photography - how long have you been a photographer, and what got you interested in the first place?

In June 1983 about one week before my wife and I went on our honeymoon, we decided that we might want to have a few documentary photos of our vacation. Neither of us had ever owned a camera, so we bought a point-and-shoot 35mm camera and three rolls of color slide film that I expected to last the ten-day trip. I used all of them the first day or two and was hooked forever.

What type of photography are you interested in, and why?

I like to travel, so it's no surprise that I also like travel photography. I try to capture not just the obvious iconic subjects in traditional viewpoints that every traveler hopes to see, but also the details that reveal the character of the places and people that I visit. Sometimes that means capturing iconic subjects in unusual perspectives.

I recently set up a makeshift studio in a small storage room. I want to eventually learn how to successfully photograph everything having to do with wine (another hobby of mine mentioned above). That means also photographing glass, which is generally regarded as one of the most difficult subjects to master. With the constructive critique of my fellow CiC photographers, I hope to eventually prevail.

As for reviewing other people's photography, there is no style of photography that I don't enjoy at least in small doses.

Any particular photographic influences?

The entire range of photographic history is fascinating to me and inescapably influences me at least in subtle ways. One of the blatant influences is that I apply sepia toning to monochromatic images that aren't necessarily timeless. That's despite that timelessness is usually considered a requirement for that treatment. I also apply toning that is reminiscent of albumen prints made in the 19th century because I simply like the look.

Speaking of history, I created a 20-page document explaining the technologies used from the beginning of photography to about 1880. (Anyone can PM me for a free copy.) I did that because I have never seen the various capturing, developing and printing technologies explained in a way that makes it easy to understand them at a glance and why they came to be.

What do you hope to achieve through your photography - or what have you achieved already?

I want to make images that move me and hopefully others on any level. Whether an image makes us chuckle just a little bit or throws us into deep thought, either case and many others work for me.

What you think of CiC? Any way it could be improved? Where should it go from here, in your opinion?

There are so many things that I like about CiC that I'll mention just two -- that the discussions pertaining to photography equipment are brand-agnostic except for the occasional jokes and that every image that is posted is subject to helpful critique.

Getting more personal if you don't mind...what keeps you awake at night, apart from Photoshop?

If I could make only two things in life instantly disappear forever with a flick of my magic wand, they would be hunger and violence.

EDITOR PICK #2

I have to ask this…. What photographic gear do you own, and what software do you use for editing?

Actually, you didn't have to ask. I use a Nikon system but that's only because I have a good friend who also uses Nikon. When I changed from film to digital photography, I knew I could rely on him to get me out of trouble in a pinch. (That happened often in the beginning!) I thrive on using prime lenses mostly because it's almost a zen-like experience for me to find scenes that are a good fit with a particular focal length rather than the other way around. My primary post-processing software is Capture NX2, though not because it's a Nikon product. I find it so easy to use its control point masking technology and also like that there is no need to use layers.

It's difficult to be objective, but how would you rate your photographic skills and ability?

That's actually very easy for me. I hope it's reasonable to say that I'm getting better and better and I'm absolutely positive that that's not happening nearly fast enough.

Are you in a position to help or encourage others in their photography?

At the risk of getting a bit too heavy, everyone is in a position to encourage others in whatever they pursue. I hope I'm successful at that.

You often see debates on the subject … but do you consider photography to be art?

After years of thinking about art mostly in the context of music long before I ever held a camera, I finally came up with a definition that works for me: Anything created by mankind that moves me is art. That implies that each of us gets to decide for ourselves what is and isn't art. Great photography can move me, so it can be art. Having said that, labels are really unimportant to me, so I have no need to label anything as being art or not.

What single piece of advice do you think is most useful to someone starting out with photography?

For most people including myself when I first started, it would be to fill the frame with the subject.

Can we see two of your shots that mean something special to you, and could you explain why.

MIKE'S SELECTION #1:

Of all the images that I have made, this is the only one that I would ever consider to be truly important and that is because of the situation.

The child is my nephew Matthew and the adult is his mother Valerie. The image is the first one made of them together. There was no promise that Matthew would survive until the next day. I'm thrilled to report that he is about 4 1/2 years old as I write this and is thriving, though not in the usual sense due to prolonged medical issues. Notice the indication, "iron girl," on Valerie's tee shirt. My take on that is that no metal has ever been made that is as strong as Valerie; the challenges that she conquered at that time and every day since then proves that, indeed, she is an "iron girl."

Every time I make a picture of Matthew, I send it to to the head nurse who took care of him during those precarious months. I framed a print of this photo and gave it to her and the medical team as a "thank you" for saving Matthew's life. They hung it in the room where the doctors consult with the parents of their tiny patients who struggle to live just as Matthew did at the time.

MIKE's SELECTION #2:

I selected this image because, despite the typical constraints of limited time and conditions when traveling, everything came together to produce my idea of a creative presentation of an iconic subject.

Though millions of tourists have seen these bronze horses at the top of St. Matthew's Cathedral in Venice, relatively few of them have seen the sculptures or a photo of them from this angle.

Finally, can you give us one interesting/weird/silly thing about you that we probably don’t know?

When my older brother and I teamed up to play hide-and-seek with other small children, we always won. He would lift me into a safe that was the top part of a metal filing cabinet and he would lock the safe's combination lock. You probably guessed that we never told our parents about that until we became adults.

Thank you, again, for taking part in 'In conversation with .......'

Thanks also to you for helping to make it happen!

Read all the other interviews in the series by going to this link

Real Name
    Patrick

Re: In conversation with ... Mike Buckley

Excellent interview Mike and Donald!

Mike, I also come from a musical background and studied composition in the university as well as playing in many bands/projects over the years. Since I'm somewhat of a gypsy my interests have gone from one place to the next and currently I spend most of my free time on photography. I enjoy your photographs and posts here on CiC so keep it up and I may ask for some advice in the future on glass photography (my brother is a glassblower and makes some outstanding pieces that I would love to capture in a unique way).

Cheers,
    Patrick

Real Name
    Bobo

Excellent interview.

If I may say so - Matthew + Valerie shot really moved me. Glad he is doing well.

Back to the interview - I like it for its right amount of flippancy without coming across as arrogant. Not many do that well.

If I am ever down your way, will most certainly bum a glass of wine off you.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Patrick,

It's good to know of another musician here at CiC! You have no idea how much I envy you that you have a glassblower in the family. I'll be happy to help out with ideas about photographing his creations, though I'm still in the relatively early stage of the learning curve myself. If you haven't already noticed from my posts, I strongly encourage you to obtain a copy of Light: Science and Magic.

Bobo,

If you're ever in my area, I count on sharing more than just one glass of wine with you. As you know from the interview, you have paid me the ultimate compliment by mentioning that the photo of Matthew and Valerie moved you. Thanks for mentioning it!
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 5th January 2013 at 12:39 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Mike thanks for sharing "your story". It's nice to know something about a member, particularly a "prolific poster" such as yourself ! I also think the mother and baby photo is a beauty, I'm sure Mum will treasure it forever. Did they let you take some lighting gear into the premmy ward ?

Dave

Excellent engaging interview Donald and Mike,
    Wonderful selection of images, all very individual , but each tell a story.

Cheers
    Wendy

Real Name
    Paul

Mike, Great images and an even better interview. I love to read these finding a little more of what makes the photog/artist in you tick. The image and story of "Iron Girl" and baby is a heartwarming one, and you have done an exceptional job capturing the moment. Glad he is doing well and I am sure the image will be cherish by both.

I don't believe I had seen Editors pick #1 before and I am happy to not have missed it. Great choice Donald.

Thank you to Dave, Wendy and Paul!

Paul: You may be right that I might not have ever posted the first photo here. It's a felucca on the Nile River captured on slide film in 1997.

Dave: You joked about lighting gear in the hospital ward. I don't think I'll ever forget the post-processing ordeal that I went through to deal with no fewer than three light sources in that photo, all with a different color temperature.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 5th January 2013 at 05:50 AM.

Thank you to everyone mentioning the photo of Valerie and Matthew. That scene took place in Johns Hopkins Hospital in June 2008. He was 11 days old at the time and was born on my and my wife's anniversary! When you see the following photo made in November 2012 after a long day at the petting zoo and playing insde, it is hard to believe that he had ever been so unbelievably sick.

Real Name
    Paul

Now there is a ladies man in the making! Good lookin kid, and no you would never guess.

Real Name
    Jon

Great read mike. Thanks for taking the time to share some of your life with us.

Great looking young man

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post

Paul: You may be right that I might not have ever posted the first photo here. It's a felucca on the Nile River captured on slide film in 1997.

Dave: You joked about lighting gear in the hospital ward. I don't think I'll ever forget the post-processing ordeal that I went through to deal with no fewer than three light sources in that photo, all with a different color temperature.
    Mike you did very well with the lighting under the circumstances ! I like the boat on the Nile too.

Dave

Real Name
    Matthew

Mike,
    I totally agree with what everyone else has said so far. I can't add much other than saying I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and getting to know you better.

Real Name
    Andrew

Thanks Mike for an excellent interview. You have already given me good advice and I now know why I am happy to use that advice. I think its because you have a great feeling for your subjects. Would empathy be the right word. Thanks.

Thank you to Matt and Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewaxford View Post
    a great feeling for your subjects. Would empathy be the right word.
    Thanks for mentioning that, Andrew. Those of us who, like me, are fortunate enough to be amateur photographers have the luxury of photographing only the subjects that are meaningful to us. I read about professionals who are not yet in a practical position that allows them to pick and choose their subjects when shooting to earn a livelihood. I especially admire the pros who are shooting subjects that they don't really connect with, yet make photographs of those subjects that are so appealing. That seems to me to be a very special talent on so many levels.

Real Name
    Terri

It's great to learn more about the guy that gave me such an in depth response in one of my first threads on CinC which definitely encouraged me to continue asking questions. No doubt you are successful in encouraging others in their photography as there's evidence of it almost every day right here.

The picture of your nephew moved me when you first posted it and it is heartwarming to read the additional details and see his picture now. Thanks for sharing such a personal story.

That sailboat picture is beautiful! I'm glad we got to see it.

You're so kind, Terri. Thank you.

Real Name
    Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post

He looks great...

One reason for the way I felt was that up to about 15 years old, I had very serious asthma. Dad used to take me to docs almost every other day, hospitals even. Sleeping flat was impossible and I was often in a sitting position. In my younger days could not do what most kids enjoyed as I would be out of breath in seconds and just wheeze and try to get some air in.

One day we met a miracle stand-in doc and her meds along with 2 years of breathing physio to change my breathing pattern fixed up everything. Too small to remember her name, and the only memory is that she was Indian and the old colonial style clinic now long gone. The physio clinic is still there though. Oh and those pills were horrific looking things - big and black.

My one regret was not seeing the sacrifices my parents went through until much later in life but by then they had gone.

So yes, any pic/scene that reminds me of parental suffering and love does get at me.

Thanks Mike - bottles then.....
    Last edited by Bobobird; 5th January 2013 at 06:35 PM.

Great story, Bobo! Thanks for sharing it.

Real Name
    Brian

What more can I add? Super interview and I'm glad one of your interests is sampling "the esential liquid".
    I feel for Valery and Mathew. My sister-in-law's second born was given 5 years. She is now 34 with two children of her own.
    Given strength we can overcome.
    I look foward to exchanging what ever in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast