Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Would you consider selling some old gear?

Real Name
    Ife.

Would you consider selling some old gear?

Happy new year to you all. Both jokingly and subtly mentioning, i have indicated my interest in fairly used gear in case some people here are weeding them out of the bag.

Here are my reasons:
    1.Where i live, ebay is not exactly functional neither is any method of acquiring such.
    2. Used items like photography equipment for example are scarce and when you get them, the prices are so close to new ones which defeats the point.
    3. Dealers are just unreliable.
    4. Obviously, i can't afford new equipment. (I am a student).

I have read posts of seasoned pros here and i think it is safe to assume that they have acquired some kit along the years and due to upgrades, they may no longer require them. Those old stuff could be really life-saving for me.

At the moment, i need a decent lens that covers the 18-50 or 18-55 range. Even the broken kitlens i have does not even produce sharp images...so i guess a bad AF is not only the problem with the lens.
    The lens above is my priority as my needs are not fancy or astronomical. I already have a 50mm f/1.8 and a Sigma 70-300 which are both in excellent condition.

While a wide angle lens seems the topmost priority it wont be a bad idea to hear of
    a. A camera body superior to my current xxxxD(Canon 1000D).
    b. A good bag.
    c. Filters and so on...
    at "get rid of them" prices.
    How it could work: The internet is not exactly a place where you can fully claim you trust everyone, that i'm aware of but i'm willing to send money forth if i get very considerable deals and the seller then sends the package by courier to me. Sounds crazy? I think desperate describes it better.

I shoot an entry level DSLR. Canon 1000D to be precise.

What are your thoughts?

Should a better body(in model) than my camera surface at a giveaway price, i would consider looking into it.

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Re: Would you consider selling some old gear?

First of all I have to ask what's wrong with your Canon 1000D ? are you just tired of it and want to move on or is there a problem with it. In all cases if the camera is working properly then it be best just to invest in better glass. I have to go along with you on e-bay, I have got some good deals from there but many times a used item ends up costing as much as a new one. You say dealers are just unreliable, sounds like maybe you had a bad experience in the past, if you deal with a store that got a good reputation you should not have any problems, B@H photo and Adorama comes to mind and are the ones I have used over the years and never had any problems with them, real good folks. One thing you did not say is your price point for new gear. There are many good deals out there you just have to look.

Real Name
    Scott

Good luck to you, Ife. Are you not able to get shipments from online camera stores? I know budget is a problem.

You may or may not be aware of this, but it might be extra difficult for you to get merchandise sent to you in Nigeria without a broker like PayPal. It is your bad luck that there is a whole type of famous email scam called "the Nigerian scam". People would send emails to the USA or Europe claiming to be a prince or a millionaire in Nigeria (who knows why Nigeria of all places?) and then persuade you let them wire money into your bank account. Then they use that bank information to empty your account.

I am sure you are a good and honest person, but I think you will have that fear to overcome in any unusual email transaction involving money or merchandise.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Isn't Paypal the answer for the ordinary person? I have sent money to my son when I made a lengthy and expensive phone call fom his place and wanted to re-inburse him when I came home. I don't think anybody would confuse you with the Nigerian scam artists who are so 'obvious' As are those asking for money becuase some dire problem has befallen them [you].

Have you inquired as to what entry duty Nigeria charges on private imports which with some countries makes buying overseas not really a viable proposition.

Real Name
    Ife.

Well Scott, valid points you raised there. The scam is so popular now that even some Russians do it and the axe still falls on Nigeria(the exact consequences of a bad reputation). Well for what it's worth, i am not looking for freebies(not averse to them though ) Just a gentleman arrangement where i send money through my bank and wait for the seller to send to me.

Jcuknz, paypal does not even allow Nigerian cards(such a shame)...

Taking a look at adorama.com, they do not even ship to Nigeria. Ouch! B&H however does ship to Nigeria but the shipping cost i found for a used $69 lens (for example) was $83....so the used market offers some cheap items....sending is also of huge concern too. So so discouraging.

Paul, i'm dropping the camera issue. Glass is the priority now...thanks. For the dealers, we have only 2 good dealers of camera equipment and guess how much i bought my canon 50mm f/1.8 from one of them? an equivalent of $220. For something reputed to be about $100. That, is one of the problems. For other lenses, telling you the prices will just break my heart.

I'm as helpless as confused.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Considering that shipping is so expensive, that's going to be an issue regardless of who or where you buy an item from, whether new or used.

You might want to look into shipping options with KEH.com. They specialize in used equipment and are very reliable. If I remember correctly, they sell only used equipment.