Thread: Thunder Head

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Thunder Head

This is the local scene which greets me after work most days at the moment while we wait for the monsoon to set in. These clouds get hot over the black soil plains and rise up before moving into town in the afternoon. We call it the Koolpinyah Special after the cattle station where it forms. The suburb is Nightcliff after the cliffs in the foreground which were first scaled by explorers at night (funny enough). C&C welcome.
    Thunder Head

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Thunder Head

Nice colour and a very interesting composition Wayne.

I would love to see this in a wider view but with what is shown, I don't see a way to do that simply by croping without loosing either the top of the Thunder Head or the detail in the foreground bank.

What might work though, would be to try Photoshop's 'Content Aware Scale' to gently increase the image's overall aspect ratio without affecting the ratio of everything in the image. If you have not tried that feature, it can provide for pleasing results on SOME images.

Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Nice colour and a very interesting composition Wayne.

I would love to see this in a wider view but with what is shown, I don't see a way to do that simply by croping without loosing either the top of the Thunder Head or the detail in the foreground bank.

What might work though, would be to try Photoshop's 'Content Aware Scale' to gently increase the image's overall aspect ratio without affecting the ratio of everything in the image. If you have not tried that feature, it can provide for pleasing results on SOME images.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks Frank, it sounds interesting. I will look it up.

Real Name
    John

Hi Wayne,
    I like it too, but would like to see it bigger. If Franks idea works out, to your liking please post it.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers
    John

Real Name
    Frank Miller

I gave this a quick try to see if it would look natural in a 16:9 ratio. What do you think?

Thunder Head

You might notice that it added more to the shoreline than to the bank and buildings. Let me know if you prefer that I remove the scaled image.

Real Name
    Dan

Interesting explanation to go along with the photo. One thing I love about you folks down under, you're so practical, Night Cliffs. I love it.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    I gave this a quick try to see if it would look natural in a 16:9 ratio. What do you think?

Thunder Head

You might notice that it added more to the shoreline than to the bank and buildings. Let me know if you prefer that I remove the scaled image.
    It looks great Frank, I like it. Thanks for the information. I will look into it as there are several pictures which could benefit from this.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Interesting explanation to go along with the photo. One thing I love about you folks down under, you're so practical, Night Cliffs. I love it.
    We like to keep it simple Dan :-)