Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSLR essentials

Real Name
    Will

DSLR essentials

So i eventually managed to find myself some employment, which means i can start more seriously considering upgrading to enter into the DSLR world, so i was wondering what sort of essentials should be bought when purchassing a DSLR so that i can consider them in the costing....

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Re: DSLR essentials

Assuming you'll get a lens with the body, I'd get yourself a decent bag. Then I'd look at tripods mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelseablue View Post
    I'd get yourself a decent bag.
    This one, perhaps? Physcodelia

Real Name
    Will

well ive got a passable tripod, so that doesnt sound too expensive! or is that famous last words?

Quote Originally Posted by wjh31 View Post
    So i eventually managed to find myself some employment, which means i can start more seriously considering upgrading to enter into the DSLR world, so i was wondering what sort of essentials should be bought when purchassing a DSLR so that i can consider them in the costing....
    If I knew the what I know now......................

What I would have done is really work on deciding what sort of photography I was going to do and what sort of photographer I was going to be and to choose my dream equipment based on that. The most important part is ELIMINATING the equipment I wouldn't need as I have spent waaaay to much in the past on stuff I dont really use much. Now I have settled with one body and three lenses, whereas I had ten lenses before!

If you can visualise what your style will be then just buy the very best lenses to cover that. e.g. if you are not going to earn money from portraits then you do not need a £1000+ lens to take portraits, ( e.g. the 85 1.8 is better than the 85 1.2) if you are not really going to shoot sports apart from the occasional dabble the you probably do not need the faster lenses ( e.g. the 70-200 f4 is better than the 70-200 f2.8)

You can save yourself a packet f you can decide this, yet still plan to buy the very best lenses for your style.

whan you know what tose lenses etc will be THEN buy your bag

It all depends on exactly what you will be photographing.

But you will want another lens; and possibly a decent flash unit; plus another lens and a bigger bag to carry it all around.

And then you will probably want some better editing software.

But I would say concentrate on 2 or 3 decent lenses first.

Real Name
    Will

well unfortuantely i think my budget is firmly in 3-figures, i was currently thinking something like a 500d w. kit lens plus the 55-250IS since i do use the tele end on my bridge alot, both for wildlife and high res panoramas. I know that th d5000 is a key rival, but cant seem to find anything at the long end with VR in budget. Sony is attractive with IS built in, but ive herd the viewfinder is crippleing on the a380 which seems to be at the price point to rival the other 2...

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Chelseablue View Post
    Assuming you'll get a lens with the body, I'd get yourself a decent bag. Then I'd look at tripods mate.
    Don't get the cheapest tripod, even if they say it is 2/3 off. Get one with a removable head.

http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/lenses.html

The link might be useful if you get a Canon.

Very basic stuff like a cleaning brush and bag and spare memory + battery.

You could consider a circular polarizer, they have to be double coated both sides.
    Last edited by arith; 17th October 2009 at 08:18 PM. Reason: typo

If you are considering going down the Canon road, and I make no comments for or against, have a look at the 40D as well. Some people (like me) consider the 450/500D to be a bit small and fiddly to use while others think the 40/50D to be difficult to hold and too heavy to lug around all day. But consider both and if possible get to hold them in your hands before making a decision.

Also consider purchasing a body only plus lenses of your choice instead of a kit lens. Personally, I think the Canon 28-135 IS and the 70-300 IS are both excellent good value starter lenses. But if money is tight, I recommend starting with a body and one good lens then adding more glass as funds improve.

Real Name
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    If you are considering going down the Canon road, and I make no comments for or against, have a look at the 40D as well. Some people (like me) consider the 450/500D to be a bit small and fiddly to use while others think the 40/50D to be difficult to hold and too heavy to lug around all day. But consider both and if possible get to hold them in your hands before making a decision.

Also consider purchasing a body only plus lenses of your choice instead of a kit lens. Personally, I think the Canon 28-135 IS and the 70-300 IS are both excellent good value starter lenses. But if money is tight, I recommend starting with a body and one good lens then adding more glass as funds improve.
    It is on my to-do list to go into a shop and try a bit of hands-on-ness before i commit to anything!

The main reason i am being tempted down the canon road is because of the 55-250IS being available at around £170, whereas i cant see anything for nikon in the longer end with VR in budget, please feel free to correct me so i can re-consider if you know of anything

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

The main reason i am being tempted down the canon road is because of the 55-250IS being available at around £170, whereas i cant see anything for nikon in the longer end with VR in budget, please feel free to correct me so i can re-consider if you know of anything
    Hi Will,

Sadly, I have to agree with you, I can't see anything sensible for a Nikon either; I was unhappy with a £500+ third party 18 - 250mm and have resorted to the Nikon 18 - 200mm VR (which was more ).

Having come from a bridge camera with 28 - 300mm, I really wanted an all-in-one solution if I could. Now I have it with same range I was used to, and I'm really happy with the quality of the Nikon lens.

Don't be tempted to go without IS/VR (IMHO).

Cheers,

Real Name
    Richard

One inexpensive accessory...

This relatively inexpensive accessory will not result in better or sharper pictures but, will be easy on your neck during a long day of shooting. Get an aftermarket strap. Both Tamrac and Optech market great straps which are made of neoprene and greatly ease the burden of carrying any camera.

http://www.tamrac.com/g_camerastraps.htm

http://www.optechusa.com/product/det...&CATEGORY_ID=4

BTW: an extra battery and an extra memory card will ease the logistics of shooting.

Real Name
    Will

Re: One inexpensive accessory...

My mum is about to go to america, and comparing amazon .co.uk vs .com versions suggests savings are to be had if she were to purchase a 500d there on my behalf, has anyone got any info/experiance/etc on purchasing such items abroad?

Edit: scrap that, adding VAT at customs makes it not worth the hassle
    Last edited by wjh31; 23rd October 2009 at 07:48 PM.

That's if you declare it :P

But really.. The dollar is so weak right now it may be worth looking into, you could end up with a significant savings.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by KentDub View Post
    That's if you declare it :P
    Could cost a LOT more if you don't!

My mum is about to go to america, and comparing amazon .co.uk vs .com versions suggests savings are to be had if she were to purchase a 500d there on my behalf, has anyone got any info/experiance/etc on purchasing such items abroad?

Edit: scrap that, adding VAT at customs makes it not worth the hassle
    You should also look into warranty issues. I live in Canada and know that Nikon Canada and Nikon USA do not honor warranties on cameras purchased outside of their respective countries. Will Canon UK treat your camera likewise?

Real Name
    Will

well she's gone now so its too late.

But unfortunately i have now had a hands-on, and the viewfinder on the alpha-380 isnt as bad as i thought was indicated (for me atleast) so now i need to work out the balance between cost and features/quality, the 500D with kit + 55-250 IS comes in at ~£725, while the A380 with kit and 75-300 is £100 less at ~£625... people shouldnt be given choices!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Will,

Think hard about what your NEXT (i.e. 3rd) lens might be, then look at the prices and choice available in both mounts.

Bear in mind you'll be fussier by then, so you won't want the cheapest, choice might be restricted, and the next price bracket up might be pro-level and prohibitive.

No easy answers ...

Real Name
    Will

well after comparing features, IQ, and range of lenses, thats gotta be the 500d then, now to persuade myself i really want to part with £750!

Depending on what you shoot :

minimal a standard zoom lens cost efficient with VR or IS or VC or OS (vr=nikon, IS=canon, VC =tamron OS =sigma). some good and cheap or at least affordable one are nikon nikkor af -s 18-55 vr , canon EF-S 18-55 IS, Sigma 18-50 (not with os as far as i know off) tamron 17-50 f 2.8 vc

+

semi tele with IS /VR/ VC /OS like Canon's ef 55-250 IS , Nikons 55-200 vr , sigma 55-200.

or one walk a round lense

sigma 18-200 os hsm
    nikon 18-105 vr (better and cheaper than the 18-200 vr)
    tamron 18-270 vc

you need a backpack like the lowe pro slingshot 200 AW
    you need a tripod
    you need a monopod
    you need lens cleaning sloths
    you need spare batteries
    you need perhaps a polarizer (from dirt cheap (50 EUR) to dirt expensive (250 uer>)
    you need a water proof cover for the camera
    you need insurance that pays also if they steal it from you..
    you def. need a banking acount with a great some of money on it
    you need time (to fiquere out waht you like , dislike and to find out if you are right or wrong )

the rest comes later

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast