Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Austrian Bluff

Austrian Bluff

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: Austrian Bluff

Really nice, Mike

Masterful sharpening- it would be really easy to over-sharpen both the rock textures and the trees, but looks perfect on this monitor (am at work). Again, it may be this monitor but I wonder if you might eek out a tad more detail in the sky by ndging down the highlights and pushing the black point just a little.

Well done

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Mike,

Nice image - I cannot contribute anything helpful on the picture, but regarding the presentation ...

Quote Originally Posted by Clactonian View Post
    BEST VIEWED IN LIGHTBOX BY CLICKING ON THE IMAGE
    This is true to an extent Mike, but you have posted at 1200 square.

Most people's 'big' screens are still only going to be 1050 px or 1080 px tall, this means they still won't see it at 100% (for optimum sharpness) unless they also press "F" or click the square+arrow icon, but then they'll lose your composition - and have to scroll up and down to see it all.

If your screen is 1200 tall and you chose this size for a definite reason, that's fine and takes priority.

Personally, I recommend posting images no bigger than 1000px tall for general web consumption.

Hope that's helpful,

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post

Personally, I recommend posting images no bigger than 1000px tall for general web consumption.

Hope that's helpful,
    My mistake Dave. It was only after I posted that I realised that I hadn't reduced the size for this one. I'm viewing at 2560 x 1440 so didn't notice when I previewed the post. Silly boy!!

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post

Again, it may be this monitor but I wonder if you might eek out a tad more detail in the sky by ndging down the highlights and pushing the black point just a little.
    The sky was really bland Kevin and I've had to work hard to get any detail into it without 'cooking' the blues. You are quite right that more detail would be preferable. Thanks for the suggestion and kind comments.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Mike. I think you've done a great job at documenting the bluff's existence and the fact that it is surrounded by trees and water. The photo is very sharp. For a B&W image, you do have a broad range of tones in the image. I think the image could be improved if you were able to find a way for it to tell a story. Perhaps if there were a group of rock climbers or something else to add interest.