Thread: Lines

Real Name
    Andrew

Lines

Hello. I would like some feedback on this one please. I like the conversion into black and white, I like the lines, and textures. I also like the perspective. There's just something about it that doesn't keep my attention. Maybe it's because the subject matter is boring? Maybe it's because I've been looking at it for a couple of hours?

Any feedback appreciated, thanks!

Lines

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Lines

I like everything that you like about it and would add that you used depth of field very effectively. However, I also agree that it doesn't hold my attention.

It can be helpful when making images like this to determine one element that either the rest of the image evolves around or that is different from the rest of the image. Once you determine that element, position it in the frame in a place that ensures that it's the first thing that we notice. It might be something so simple and different from the rest of the image as a torn tag hanging from one of the items. I wonder if positioning these items on a diagonal (I'm a sucker for diagonals) would provide the interest and strength needed to grab our attention.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 29th December 2012 at 07:48 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Andrew,

Yes I know where you're at.

Having just come here from Paul's thread; P&S Images, I am resisiting making the suggestion that shot at a wider angle, from closer to the crates, with (even) more of them in focus (use of P&S), might have helped.

I like that you have them all straight with vertical edges left and right, but I'd be open to seeing a diagonal view too.

This was shot at 50mm on a Canon 60D, so about 80mm focal length/angle of view, assuming no significant cropping has taken place - so it feels to a viewer like a 'hemmed in', repetitive scene, but one that looks too 'normal' to hold the attention.

I also think Mike is on to something with it not having an odd-one-out subject - I wondered about colour-washing one of them, ideally one on a right third intersection, but the crates above and below the central one are showing signs of softness towards the corners of shot, so it may be unwise to highlight them. Perhaps a narrower aperture than f/6.3 next time?

Not sure I'm helping much, sorry,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 29th December 2012 at 08:01 PM.

Real Name
    Andrew

No, no. Very helpful indeed. I think that you've both hit onto something. Give me one minute, and I'll see what I can come up with. Thank you gentlemen! It's always nice to get your observations. After so much time looking at it, that's about all it becomes, is looking.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Andrew. The problem is there is no specific object for the viewer to focus on. I doesn't have to be an odd one-of-many, but could be any object such as a cat, broom stick, person, chair or something else. Without a main object, it is just a repeating pattern with little interest. My two cents worth.