Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Celebrating Fall!

Real Name
    Ali

Celebrating Fall!

Any comments?

I start by saying it is not sharp enough and also the fence ruined it, but my model usually does not follow any orders, so this is all I have

Celebrating Fall!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Celebrating Fall!

I might have gone 1/2 stop brighter, but great overall. Have you got a EF85/1.2L yet?

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    I might have gone 1/2 stop brighter, but great overall. Have you got a EF85/1.2L yet?
    Thanks, Colin. I will try that before printing it.

And no, not yet. Still trying to justify the Gitzo tripod and all the filters I have bought! But it is funny, just today I was thinking there is nothing else I need to buy and thought of that Lens

Can you think of anything else? My wife would love to know

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Alis View Post
    Can you think of anything else? My wife would love to know
    Is that because you then have to buy her goods to the equivalent value?

Seriously, if all depends on what you want to do and how far you want to go - there is ALWAYS something else to buy! Personally, I'm in the process of switching to the new Pocket Wizard Mini/Flex system (from Plus II's) - and from there there are more Speedlites - CP-E4 power packs (for faster cycling) - light stands - umbrellas (silver reflective / gold reflective / white shoot through) light stands - VALs (Voice-Activated Lightstands) (assistants!) - studio strobes - petrol generators to run studio lights in the field! - fans - backdrops - chromakeys - on-site makeup artists ... the list goes on and on and on!

Any comments?
    I start by saying it is not sharp enough and also the fence ruined it, but my model usually does not follow any orders, so this is all I have
    Alis I am impressed with the consistant quality of the shots you put up on the forums (Excellent)! I'm lucky if I get a few decent shots a week (that don't look like snapshots for a P&S). Keep up the good work

Real Name
    Ali

Is that because you then have to buy her goods to the equivalent value?

Seriously, if all depends on what you want to do and how far you want to go - there is ALWAYS something else to buy! Personally, I'm in the process of switching to the new Pocket Wizard Mini/Flex system (from Plus II's) - and from there there are more Speedlites - CP-E4 power packs (for faster cycling) - light stands - umbrellas (silver reflective / gold reflective / white shoot through) light stands - VALs (Voice-Activated Lightstands) (assistants!) - studio strobes - petrol generators to run studio lights in the field! - fans - backdrops - chromakeys - on-site makeup artists ... the list goes on and on and on!
    Wow! never thought of those. We probably won't need to turn on the heaters this winter if I have any of those...

And there is not need to buy gifts for her; I buy all of the gear I buy as gifts for her and for my son anyway.

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by KentDub View Post
    Alis I am impressed with the consistant quality of the shots you put up on the forums (Excellent)! I'm lucky if I get a few decent shots a week (that don't look like snapshots for a P&S). Keep up the good work
    Thanks, Kent!

One thing you don't know is that a high percentage of the good pictures in my case are surprises. I still don't know what I have in my CF cards when I am walking back home! I guess I have to be more predictable which is not easy...

Real Name

And there is not need to buy gifts for her; I buy all of the gear I buy as gifts for her and for my son anyway.
    Ah - that's like buying the wife an electric drill and a skill saw for Christmas!

Real Name
    Ali

Ah - that's like buying the wife an electric drill and a skill saw for Christmas!
    Exactly! Sometimes I don't even wait for her birthday... I think these occasions are all just arbitrary dates

Real Name

Exactly! Sometimes I don't even wait for her birthday... I think these occasions are all just arbitrary dates
    You must love her VERY much!

Any comments?

I start by saying it is not sharp enough and also the fence ruined it, but my model usually does not follow any orders, so this is all I have.
    I really like this shot Alis, that slight movement in the hands explains what is going on for me.
    Try working with my grandchildren with a camera in your hands....nightmare,lol.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I might have gone 1/2 stop brighter
    I agree, but be careful with the sky, it is already blown in many places.
    The bright spots through the fence are also quite distracting, so I think they may be worth taking down too.

The fence really doesn't worry me that much because his expression, the moment of capture, the DoF all make this secondary. In fact the horizontal rail on right actually forms a nice lead in to his face.

I think the composition (I assume a crop) is spot on, especially in relation to the fence.
    One more PP suggestion I have is to reduce the darkness of that large chunk of tree trunk and diagonal branch that is top centre; make them almost as pale as the more distant ones.

Well done.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 11th October 2009 at 08:50 AM.

Alis, i like this shot very much

Real Name

Yaaaay - I'm with my Dad :)

Celebrating Fall!

Real Name
    Ali

Thanks, everyone for the comments. I completely missed the new replies here, not sure how it happened

And I like your version Colin. And the title too Thanks!

Real Name

Thanks, everyone for the comments. I completely missed the new replies here, not sure how it happened

And I like your version Colin. And the title too Thanks!
    You must have been too busy saving lives!

You're very welcome for the edit - my thinking with shots like these is it's better to err slightly on the side of increased vibrance (which - according to the book - increases saturation, but not for skin-tones). I like to think of it as being more like "the way we remember the scene" as opposed to "the way is really was". Personal choice thing

Real Name
    Ali

You must have been too busy saving lives!
    Well, when I miss things at work, people say "you must have been busy saving your files on CiC"!

Real Name

Well, when I miss things at work, people say "you must have been busy saving your files on CiC"!
    So the "secret" is well and truely out then?

Real Name
    Ali

So the "secret" is well and truely out then?
    No, no! I was trying to mirror your joke, to be symmetrically funny! Nobody actually tells me that at work. If we miss anything, the only thing people don't do is joking! You will have to talk to their lawyers

Real Name
    António Correia

Good picture Alis ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast