Real Name
    Peter Hilton

Photograph of the year

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/photos/cont...892662729.html

Some of these are quite interesting

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Photograph of the year

I'm afraid that none of them would get my vote.

Real Name
    Jim

Who nominates these photos?

Real Name
    Virginia

Boring! Yesterday, I just finished looking at Popular Photography's 2012 Annual Picture contest results and at least five or six of them would beat the link that started this thread to death.

I'm jes' sayin'....

virginia

Real Name
    James

Gotta say I'm with you Colin, though the second one (I think) that was supposed to be about the light was interesting. There are much better shots posted daily on this forum. What a great community!
    James

Real Name
    Tommy

£5,000 to spend on camera equipment for the first prize?!! I think we should think about entering next year! There are photos posted on here every day that would blow most of those out of the water!

Real Name
    Virginia

I've been thinking about the post that started this thread and the thought occurs to me that many people on this list are on the border between amateur and professional. Some may be more on one side than the other, but the point is that most of us want to get better at what we're doing, whether we consider ourselves amateurs or professionals.

The general rule about "professional" seems to be that more than half the individual's income must come from selling the results of their photography. And, if that's the case, most of us will probably never get there. But, if what we examine is an individual's skill set rather than $$$ or £££, chances are a relatively large proportion of us are on the dividing line or on the professional side.

As for the prize offered by the people running the competition, £5000 would basically get me the new camera I'm lusting after and it's hardly one for people in the fully amateur category in terms of skill set!

I'm jes' sayin'....

virginia

Real Name
    Jon

"They look like photos from seasoned pros...", well if that is what pro photography looks like I believe I would like to remain an amateur. Much better photos here.

Real Name
    Bobo

Let's put the 12 monthly competition winner shots out there as the Best of CiC 2012.

Real Name
    Jon

Bobo, that wouldn't really be fair to all the other people would it? Nobody else (outside of CiC) would have a snowballs chance.

Real Name
    Bobo

Real Name
    Ian

The quality of the contributions here is the reason why CiC continues to grow and remain popular. The web is awash with many average sites but the integrated learning and constructiveness of this site in my view places it head and shoulders above the others and that includes most magazines too.

Real Name
    John

Photo #4 is a good example, photograph of an event and another photographer, of how photojournalism and print journalism is becoming more difficult to pursue of a profession. The market is easily saturated with more accessible information. Good for some, bad for others.

Real Name
    Bobo

One issue with competitions in general - someone has to make an entry and the judges can only work with what they have in front of them. There is not much they can do if the pics are mediocre.

According to TIME magazine 10% of ALL photographs EVER TAKEN were shot within the last year. There should be at least a couple million absolutely stellar shots in that bunch. Problem with competitions is the better ones like those run by the BBC are that a pretty hefty entrance fee is needed.

A better way for the likes of Yahoo to run such a competition is to use their admins at Flickr to select a shortlist and pass it on to a panel of independent judges for some something like Best of Flickr 2012 etc.

Real Name
    Chris Gilbert

Gosh. What a load of tripe. You see better than this rubbish on Flickr every day.....

Real Name
    Chris

I don't know if I'd say none would get my vote, but these photos are fairly basic in terms available talent for photo of the year. #3 has a nice use of light, #2 was done well (but is boring), #1 has been done too many times, #4 is washed out (no way in hell I'd even think about giving to my editor), #5 is missing too much in the upper left hand corner, #6 is pretty and well composed (but again missing something in the upper left hand corner), #7 is too photoshopped with the grainy overlay, #8 is fine art (just not to my liking), & #9 has been done time and time again.
    As for saying that the monthly contest winners on here would destroy these photos, I have to disagree. The contest winners are almost always similar timed exposures of water/landscapes using a Gnd filter to saturate the sky. I may be overgeneralizing, but for the most part this is the case. There are so many other facets of photography that the people on here never venture into. Works by the likes of Joey L, Douglas Sonders, and hundreds of others on Flickr and Smugmug are quite incredible for their use of light and capture of that one particular point in time perfectly. I think the photos on here are awesome, but keep in mind (for the most part) are genre limited.

Real Name
    Ian

I would hardly think that the likes of Joey L or Douglas Sonders are in the category we are talking of here. If only Coca Cola or National Governments were amongst my client list!

The OP was discussing Amateur Photographer of the Year, not highly paid iconic professionals and has it ever occurred that if they placed the best of the bunch on the website, they would get huge amounts of entries, or would folk just give up and say there's no way I can better that?

The reverse psychology is working as most here have commented that 'we could do better'.

I rather think the mag editor has you thinking exactly what he wants you to think and so you should go ahead and enter.

Real Name
    Chris

I'm sorry if you misunderstood my intent with listing them. I was trying to use Joey and Douglas as examples of different genres. Not necessarily expecting them as entries.

Real Name
    Bobo

deleted. I was the one who mis-read. Sorry.
    Last edited by Bobobird; 23rd December 2012 at 07:44 PM.

Real Name
    Ian

OK Chris. It made me go looking for these guys and taking a look at their portfolios so it ain't no bad thing.

I don't disagree that our genres can be limiting, at least CiC isn't as limited as some photo clubs or magazines that I wont mention.

So here's the challenge, for 2013, let's all try and do something different to the norm and post some interestingly different pictures.

At the end of the day it is up to us as the online community to broaden our horizons. I have some personal thoughts on this, so will be pursuing this challenge. Is anyone else coming along for the ride?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast