Thread: In conversation with .... JPS

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

In conversation with .... JPS

Name: John Silk

CiC: Thank you for agreeing to take part in 'In conversation with ....' here on CiC.

You are most welcome. I always enjoy reading the ‘In conversation with…’ articles and hope the members enjoy my humble effort.

Please tell us something about your general back-ground. What about your work history? Where you grew up? Things you have done. Anything interesting

I grew up in East London during the 1960’s in a happy working class family. My father worked for the same company from 15 years old until the day he retired; well except for his National service in the British Army in 1953, where he was posted for 2 years in Hong Kong. My mother carried out various jobs over the years, anything that fitted in with bringing up the family; my 2 brothers and little sister and my father’s long working hours.

I left school in 1978 and trained as an engineer, spending the next 6 years sharing my time between work and college. I think I made the right choice because 34 years later I’m still involved in this line of work, but now for my sins, as Technical Manager for a very large group of companies.(I won’t name my employer, no advertising from me).

During my career I have worked in many of the major Royal households; Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, Clarence House, as well as No.10 Downing Street, to name but a few; “if only I had a camera with me in those days, sadly I didn’t and now the only pictures I have are in my head”.

I love taking pictures of anything that is engineering related; boring to most people, but because I know the effort and skill needed to make them, I find them fascinating.

I also love viewing pictures of London in and around the turn of the century. People seemed much more willing to have their picture taken while continuing in their daily chores.

Well that’s enough about me.

And what about your family life?

I’ve been married to my wife, Pauline for 26 happy years and have 3 grown up sons, who thankfully have managed to get long term permanent employment; fingers crossed this continues, it’s certainly not easy in this economic climate.

Just waiting for grandchildren to come along; then my camera will get some real use.

If you were staying in tonight, what would you choose as one of your favourite books and/or films to keep you entertained, and what you be having as a favourite meal?

I’m a bit embarrassed to say this, but I only read technical or historical books; I’m not a ‘fictional book’ type of guy. To add to my embarrassment I have to confess that I love watching ‘Star Trek’.
    If any of you try telling me that I said I didn’t like ‘fiction’, so why watch Star Trek; well that’s because Star Trek is ‘Factual’ it's 'Real' and I won’t believe anyone who says it isn’t.

When it comes to food, I’m blessed with having a wife that has culinary skills way above the norm. She seem able to produce all types of food from the exotic to the basic food I grew up eating and after 26 years of marriage, this is now well and truly showing on my waist- line. I have no Will-Power, so eat everything she cooks; how wonderful.

EDITOR'S PICK #1

OK, photography is a given, but what about other hobbies or personal interests?

I do not have much spare time for hobbies, other than Photography.

My working day normally starts at 7am and finishes anywhere between 6-7pm and this does not include the 40 minutes each way travelling.

I am the Secretary of my local social club and have taken care of the day to day running and administration for the last 8 years.

Combine the above with my family life and CiC, that’s all my time taken care of.

Let's get on to photography - how long have you been a photographer, and what got you interested in the first place?

I’ve been interested in ‘Still’ photography for about 3 years now. Before that it was just an occasional picture shoot at a family wedding or function.

As I’ve got older I wanted to record my surroundings in pictures. I have memories of locations and buildings that have long been demolished and now live only in my head. This has inspired me to photograph buildings / roads and anything in my local area that is likely to disappear forever and means something to me.

What type of photography are you interested in, and why?

I love ‘Street’ photography, but find it extremely hard. I am in awe at the members on this site who can produce such wonderful ‘Street’ pictures.

I just love recording history as it happens.

Any particular photographic influences?

Not really, but I was impressed with David Bailey’s work, after seeing a documentary on his early years.

What do you hope to achieve through your photography - or what have you achieved already?

When I look back at my pictures from just a few years ago, I can see a vast improvement; even if I say so myself. I think I have finally slowed down and am making ‘considered / planned’ shots, by refraining from snapping away like a man possessed the quality has improved.

I still have a lot to learn, but that’s not a problem, my photography’s for life and not just a fad; slowly but surely.

EDITOR'S PICK #2

What you think of CiC? Any way it could be improved? Where should it go from here, in your opinion?

What do I think of CiC; well that's easy, I think it's a great site. The tutorials are well thought out and easy to follow and the site is easy to navigate.

But, what I think stands it out from other sites, is the speed that members reply to posts. I've known other sites take days or weeks before getting a reply to a question; sometimes a reply never comes. What have I learnt from this? Stick to CiC; simple.

Getting more personal if you don't mind...what keeps you awake at night, apart from Photoshop?

Thankfully not much keeps me awake. Sleep is a good friend of mine. However, I have been known to lay there thinking about getting up extra early on a weekend to get that special early shot. I don't often make it, being awake half the night normally means I’m too tried.

I have to ask this…. What photographic gear do you own, and what software do you use for editing?

Currently I have a Canon 450D, 18-55mm / 75-300mm (kit lens). My main aim is to get the best I can from the kit I have and when I feel the time is right move up to a better camera and lens. I’m not there yet but looking forward to spending some savings in the near future.

It's difficult to be objective, but how would you rate your photographic skills and ability?

Intermediate on a skill level, ability average; still plenty to learn, but that's what I like about Photography you never know everything.

What will the digital camera be like in 2030? And will you still own one?

I normally wouldn’t like to guess, but as its CiC I will give it a shot. Technology is changing so quickly I could see cameras that record holograms (reference to Star-Trek here) that would record images in full 3D.

What I do believe is that whatever happens, there will always be the demand for good quality cameras for us photographers.

Are you in a position to help or encourage others in their photography?

In my own limited way, I always try and help others. Encouraging new members who are just starting out on their photography journey is very rewarding.

You often see debates on the subject … but do you consider photography to be art?

I certainly do.

Here at CiC we have some great Photographers and some fantastic Artists.

How do you feel about having your own shot taken?

I'm not bothered either way; but nobody has ever asked to take my picture; I wonder why? My wife tells her colleague’s that I look like a Hollywood super-star; when I asked who, she said Danny DeVito, small, bald and fat.

What single piece of advice do you think is most useful to someone starting out with photography?

Enjoy what your doing; It's as simple as that.

Can we see two of your shots that mean something special to you, and could you explain why.

My 1st picture choice is one I took in Malta called “What’s beyond the Arch?” This was one of my early pictures and I just like the framing and finish of the shot.

My 2nd picture is called “Just a Duck”. I just thought it looked good, however I never got much feedback on this picture when posted, other than it should have been taken at a lower angle, but I still like it.

Finally, can you give us one interesting/weird/silly thing about you that we probably don’t know?

My Surname is ‘Silk’ over the years I’ve had letters addressed Mr Slik; Mr Filk and…..wait for it…….Mr SICK. Some people! Why would you send a letter to Mr SICK

Thank you, again, for taking part in 'In conversation with .......'

No problem. I have a saying "you only get out, what you put in" my enjoyment stems from being an active member; sitting on the side-line is not as near as much fun as joining in.

Read all the other interviews in the series by going to this link

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: In conversation with .... JPS

It's nice to know more about you, John. Thanks for sharing!

Yes John, everyone knows that Star Trek is real - unlike Star Wars ;-)

Why, Star Trek has even appeared in the form of a documented history:

"More than 45 years after "Star Trek" took fans boldly into the 23rd century, television writer David A. Goodman has written the first detailed narrative in history-book form of events depicted in the iconic science-fiction TV and movie franchise.

"Star Trek Federation - The First 150 Years" details the history of the founding and early years of "the United Federation of Planets" - the interplanetary alliance that has explored the galaxy and kept members safe from Klingons, Romulans, and other villains.

"The 167-page book, to be published on December 4, connects the dots and fills in many of the black holes of "Star Trek" history as seen in the live action TV series, animated series and movies since 1966.

"The book comes housed in a plastic pedestal display which lights up with the push of a button to the familiar voice of actor George Takei as Admiral Hikaru Sulu introducing the history.

"A deluxe history book" was the idea behind the book's design, said design manager Rosanna Brockley. "We really wanted it to look elegant."

"Star Trek Federation - The First 150 Years" is published by 47NORTH and produced by becker&mayer! and has a list price of $99.99.

"But if #1SheGeek's comment from StarTrek.com - "I HAVE to have this. I will die without it" - and Alexander's comment from blastr.com - "Shut up and take my money!" - are any indications, Goodman's book may be poised to explore sales numbers that boldly go where few "Star Trek" books have gone before."

If I had an "official" kind of desk that I sat behind where I worked, I would probably have a copy of this sitting there, just so I could watch what people did when they saw it...
    Last edited by John Morton; 1st December 2012 at 01:53 AM.

Real Name
    Paul

Always love to know a little more about whom post the images, I always find it interesting and this time is no different. Well done John.

....are there really people whom think Star Trek is not real?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    are there really people who think Star Trek is not real?
    No, of course not. All of them that did think that didn't realize that resistance is futile and they have now been properly handled.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Good to hear about JPS the person John. It's always interesting to know about a member's background.

Thanks for the interview.

Dave

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Good to get to know you John.
    From one Essex guy to another!

Real Name
    Sergio

Great to know you better, John, and I really like your "Whats beyond the Arch?" image.

Live long and prosper.

Real Name
    Terri

Good to know you a little better, John. I always enjoy reading a bit more about those who participate here. Thanks for sharing!

Real Name
    John

Thanks everybody for taking the time to read and comment.
    I would advise anybody thinking of taking part to have a go; for me it has been a most enjoyable experience. As Jean-Luc Picard would say “Make it so”

Thanks all.
    Donald Beam me up’

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi John,

Always good to learn more of the people here.

You may be interested to know I type this while watching the Star Trek movie

The fact it has taken two hours to write three sentences probably demonstrates how distracting/absorbing it is

Cheers,

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    Donald Beam me up’
    "Cap'n, the engines cannae take any more. And ah've lost ma spanner tae fix 'em", said Scotty.

I'm very sorry, but I thought we were talking about the real Star Trek and them someone starts mentioning this Picard guy. These wimps couldn't hold a candle to Captain Kirk - the one true heroic saviour of the universe and, of course, Lieutenant Uhura. Aaaahhhh Lieutenant Uhura.
    Last edited by Donald; 1st December 2012 at 11:31 PM.

Real Name
    Andrew

Hi John As always i think these conversations are great. It gives an interesting insight to another name. I cant come up with a star trek comment because i have never seen one! I do like the arch photograph. Regards Andrew

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

i love reading these "in convo with.." articals, great to see how other people think, and live, and learn more about them. Great interview John

Real Name
    Jon

Like everybody else here, I also enjoy this series. Thanks for letting us get to know more about you.

I will refrain from "Star Trek" quotes because I KNOW it is not real

Real Name
    Dave

"Cap'n, the engines cannae take any more. And ah've lost ma spanner tae fix 'em"
    Donald, I've always been convinced that Scotty was based on the Scots engineer McAndrew in Kiplings poem "M'Andrew's Hymn", and if he wasn't, he should have been!