Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon Digital Photo Pro software - where are RAW edits stored?

Canon Digital Photo Pro software - where are RAW edits stored?

When I edit RAW files in Canon's DPP software, where are those edits stored?

Re: Canon Digital Photo Pro Software

Quote Originally Posted by deepitm View Post
    When I edit RAW files in Canon's DPP software, where are those edits stored?
    The edits are stored in the .cr2 file itself. Although you can save a "recipe" as a .vrd file and apply that "recipe" to other files.

Thanks for the reply. I am considering moving to Adobe Lightroom. If the edits I make to my RAW files are stored in the CR2 file, will Lightroom recognize them when I import them into the Lightroom catalog? I believe that Lightroom stores my edits (edits I make with Lightroom) in the Lightroom catalog and does not touch the CR2 file.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

If your going to be using LR then your best option (by far) would be to convert the *.cr2 files to DNG and use ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) to convert the files (more powerful than DPP - edits held in file - seemless integration with LR)
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 5th October 2009 at 02:32 AM.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by deepitm View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I am considering moving to Adobe Lightroom. If the edits I make to my RAW files are stored in the CR2 file, will Lightroom recognize them when I import them into the Lightroom catalog? I believe that Lightroom stores my edits (edits I make with Lightroom) in the Lightroom catalog and does not touch the CR2 file.
    There are a few easy ways to keep from saving your edits to the raw file. One way is to click on the raw file you wish to edit..............click on file.....save as............and the file # will be highlited.................add a -1 to the end of the file and save it. Now you will have the original and a duplicate copy of the cr2 file. Click on the copy and do your edits and the original will be intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    If your going to be using LR then your best option (by far) would be to convert the *.cr2 files to DNG and use ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) to convert the files (more powerful than DPP - edits held in file - seemless integration with LR)
    Colin, I may have misunderstood your suggestion but - going by the way you say "seemless integration with LR" - it reads to me as if you're suggesting using ACR - presumably via PS or PSE - rather than convert using LR itself. If that's right, can I ask why you recommend that?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by GillR View Post
    Colin, I may have misunderstood your suggestion but - going by the way you say "seemless integration with LR" - it reads to me as if you're suggesting using ACR - presumably via PS or PSE - rather than convert using LR itself. If that's right, can I ask why you recommend that?
    Hi GIll,

No - LR uses the same RAW conversion engine as Photoshop (ie ACR) (as I understand it - I don't use LR).

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Variation on a Theme

Loss of EXIF data.

It's great to be able to look at EXIF data on images posted.

When one processes in DPP and saves as a TIFF in order, in my case, to then get it to the GIMP, the EXIF data gets lost from the file (though remains in the .CR2). If the processing is done in UF RAW, then there's not a problem.

So, the question is for any DPP users - Am I correct, or is there something I'm missing with DPP?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi GIll,

No - LR uses the same RAW conversion engine as Photoshop (ie ACR) (as I understand it - I don't use LR).

Phew! For a minute there, I thought I was missing a trick

Real Name

Re: Variation on a Theme

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Loss of EXIF data.

It's great to be able to look at EXIF data on images posted.
    Of course "Plan B" might be to not process in DPP and GIMP, and to just stick with Photoshop