Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: one Coot, One Grebe

Real Name
    Paul

one Coot, One Grebe

I ran out when I saw sun breaks. The late afternoon sun was low and in and out of clouds for an hour or a bit more and offered some great reflective color. That is just before I was hailed on for about 10 min while I hid under a tree, which had no leaves ofcourse!

Normally I would crop closer on the Grebe, although here I liked the water and color. I am not all that thrilled with the Coot, a rather boring image, I hoped to get him running on the water or to get him standing on a log as their feet are un naturally huge and akward looking. At least it is a good reflection.
    C&C always welcome.
    one Coot, One Grebe

one Coot, One Grebe
    Last edited by jeeperman; 25th November 2012 at 04:09 AM.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: one Coot, One Grebe

Paul I don't have anything to add your own comments sum the shots up. The only reason I have chimed in is to mention that earlier to day I did have a look at your images on the link you have above and had an enjoyable time browsing. You have some great shots.

Real Name
    Paul

Thank you, Paul. I am glad you enjoyed the browsing.

Real Name
    Bobo

2 nice shots under the conditions. Bit far I assume.

Real Name
    Paul

Yes, Bobo. A bit far today but these to were not the great bummer of the day. I'll post my real bummer below. Somtimes I wish I could walk on water! lol

The Harrier...
    one Coot, One Grebe

one Coot, One Grebe

And the non cropped 400mm image
    one Coot, One Grebe

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Amazing color and texture in the water, Paul. I get what you mean about a crop on the grebe. I want to place it lower in the frame but then you lose the best part of the water.

Hail in Seattle today? Happy to say that I missed it here in West Sound! Hope your camera stayed dry.

Real Name
    Bobo

Now that is a true bummer. At least the first is pretty good.

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks Lon, yes it was drizzly most of the day and then began to clear in spots. Then.....bam...I'm running for cover. lol Luckly the camera is more weather sealed than I am. Although I don't push it.

Bobo, that is the first one I have seen close to home. I was surprised to have gotten that guy as sharp as I did. Camera is pretty accurate I think. I was handholding those shots. And trying to focus on her and not the sticks. lol

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Paul,

I find Coots:
    a) quite boring to shoot
    b) quite difficult to shoot well;
    the head usually goes quickly fore and aft, often giving an unsharp eye - I guess this is in time with their paddling (counter balancing those huge feet? - this looks to be caught at the "head fully forward, feet fully aft" point of the cycle)

the white bit often blows, or you lose detail in the black plumage, unless the light is favourable and the exposure good, as it is in yours

I also find the reflection in shots like the Coot can also "throw another spanner in the works" (by being comical/distracting at times), but this is fine - (although you could possibly cloned out the foreground bit of stuff that has "split its head")

I can sympathise with the problems of distant birds buried in trees too, well done on that first Harrirer shot.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Dennis Dakin

I didn't know coots were so common, so I spent some time at a pond near our hotel my first day in Florida. Got this shot of a coot. I get bored shooting Canada geese and mallards here in Canada unless I am trying to get one in flightone Coot, One Grebe