Thread: In conversation with ...............Soozie

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

In conversation with ...............Soozie

Name: Sue Bensted

Flicker Account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/soozie_b/

Thank you for agreeing to take part in “In conversation with …

It is my pleasure to be invited to participate.

Please tell us something about your general background. What about your work history? Where you grew up? Things you have done? Anything interesting?

I was born and raised on the NSW/Victoria border and lived the majority of my life as a “country kid”. I made a backwards sea change 6 years ago and moved to Melbourne after being head hunted for work.

In my professional life I started out as a nurse (this didn’t suit my lifestyle - young family and shift work = unhappy kiddies and a cranky mummy) but changed direction into the world of purchasing after 5 years. Over the last 20 years I have worked my way up the ranks with the Department of Defence and the paper industry, and now am a consultant in the utility industry sharing my knowledge and teaching others how to buy goods and services and generally how to manage business practices.

What about family life?

I have 2 beautiful daughters, both grown up and a beautiful 15 month old grand daughter (Yes I hail from a gene pool of females). I also have the most adorable man who is my rock, my best friend and my biggest supporter.

If you were staying in tonight, what would you choose as one of your favourite books and/or films to keep you entertained, and what would you be having as your favourite meal?

I would probably be watching some action movie with either Nicholas Cage or Bruce Willis in it, eating Chinese Mongolian beef with special fried rice if I ordered in or satay chicken on steamed rice if I cooked whilst having a few sips of my Johnny Walker.

EDITOR'S PICK #1

Ok, photography is a given, what about other hobbies or personal interests?

For the last 20 years I can honestly say I never had any real personal hobbies or interests. My life consisted of my kids and my work – and not always in that order. Recently I have discovered, through my partner, 4 x 4 driving. I am hopeless, I love the rush I get going up and down the bumpy crazy tracks in the forests, the smell and sounds of the open spaces and the opportunity to get the camera out and click anything standing still long enough for me to focus on it.

Lets get onto photography - how long have you been a photographer and what got you interested?

I am still in the learning phase, so would not consider myself a photographer ….yet.

However, I was given my camera in January 2012 and my 1st picture was taken then. The shot is still one of my favourites as it is of my grand daughter wrapped in a blue towel (in my album on here and on Flickr). She, and that shot, were my inspiration to learn to improve. I figured if I could take a random, candid shot that looked that good imagine what I could do if I understood how to do things plus I like being able to show her off any chance I get.

What type of photography are you interested in and why?

Since looking at the world through my one eyed bandit I have discovered that I have a passion for animals with birds in particular, and old buildings. Birds are natural posers and it seems they just love putting on a show for me, fluffing their feathers, scratching ears, flicking water everywhere etc. The old buildings seem to call to me; perhaps it’s the ghosts of yesteryear begging for a chance to have some nostalgia captured through the lens.

Any particular photographic influences?

Not really. At this stage I look at as many web sites, CiC home pages and sites like pixoto and EOS photochain as I can in an attempt to learn as fast as I can and try to replicate the styles that appeal to me.

What do you hope to achieve through your photography? What have you already achieved?

My aim is to tell a story through my pictures, evoke some form of emotional response and bring smiles to the faces of those that view. Each picture that I take is due to something that captures either my heart, my eye or my over active imagination. In certain shots I feel that I have achieved this, now all I have to do is concentrate on and learn the technical side so that the good shots become keepers.

What do you think of CiC? Anyway it can be improved? Where should it go from here in your opinion?

Joining CiC was the smartest thing I have done since taking up the hobby. The participants are friendly, helpful and very constructive. The feeling of “belonging” was apparent from the 1st night I joined.

One little minor area for improvement could be that links are set up for the mini competition results. I get a little lost trying to find who actually won after the voting has closed. Although I may not be looking in the right places.

Where to go from here? Perhaps more moderators can be appointed so that there is a little more coverage over the course of a 24hr period. It appears that we have representatives from many parts of the world now, and this is a hard task for the few moderators cover the different time zones.

EDITOR'S PICK #2

Getting more personal… what keeps you awake at night, apart from photoshop?

My dogs! They bark at anything and everything that moves, or sometimes just to make sure I am ok as my partner is a shift worker so I am home alone half the week.

No seriously, I am a 4 hour a night sleeper so not much during those few hours. I get concerned that kids of today are subjected to so many negative influences and that we have all forgotten the simple joys of drinking out of taps, playing outside till dark and that its ok to say hi to a neighbour. I aim to teach my grand daughter some of the old fashioned values so she understands the world still is a beautiful place.

What photographic equipment do you own and what software do you use for editing?

My equipment consists of the following:
    Canon EOS 550D
    EF-S 55 – 250mm zoom lens
    EF-S – 18 – 55mm macro lens
    YN560 speedlite
    Short tripod (as I'm only 5’1” I don’t need a tall one)
    I use Paintshop Pro 4 and Lightroom 4.1 for editing (neither of which I know how to use properly other than cropping and adjusting light)

Its difficult to be objective, but how would you rate your photographic skills and ability?

Oh this is easy. I rate my skills as novice seeming I am less than a year into it. However, I do think that perhaps I have a natural ability that a few courses can help develop. I just don’t ever want to let the technical side control what my “third eye” sees.

What will the digital camera be like in 2030 and will you still own one?

Hopefully it will be a bit lighter, less expensive and have a carry bag that fits everything in. It will more than likely have more bells and whistles than the latest ones have now and be so technically advanced that you will need a degree just to power it up.

I am so hoping I have one if my brain, body and memory hold out that long.

Are you in a position to help or encourage others in their photography?

If someone asks a technical question I may not be able to help there, however, I think everyone has the ability to encourage others and if someone asks for an opinion we can all provide that, seeming everyone has one.

You often see debates on the subject but do you consider photography art?

Art, is a personal expression demonstrated through any medium, so yes, to me photography certainly fits that criteria.

How do you feel about having your own shot taken?

As long as it isn’t my partner in control of the camera as he takes the worst pictures I have ever seen, hehe. I personally don’t like many of the pictures taken of me, but then perhaps I am too critical.

What single piece of advice do you think is most useful to someone starting out in photography?

Keep taking pictures, as many as you can and if you really enjoy it, don’t give up.

Can we see two of your shots that mean something to you, and could you explain why?

This is my grand daughter Elyssa. The inspiration behind my love of photography and the one person in this world that melts my heart. This shot (taken on 18th October) depicts Lyss and Nonna (me) having our regular play at the park. I realised when I processed this shot that I have really got the hang of depth of field.

This shot is one my beloved birds. These birds live literally a 5 minute walk from my house and I love sitting under a tree for hours just waiting for them to put on a show for me.

Finally, can you give us one interesting/weird/silly thing about you that we probably don’t know?

I am totally night blind. Cannot see past the end of my nose in the dark, never have. If my kids want to get me back for some prank I have played on them, they move my furniture around after I go to bed so I will trip over it during the night on one of my many prowls.

Many years ago I was made to go on an all night camping trip with the Department of Defence despite them being aware of my condition. Part of the adventure was a night orienteering exercise. I tripped over the same tree branch 6 times during the course of the evening only to find in the morning that it was less than 3 meters away from my tent.

So you won’t see too many night shots coming from my camera, though I hazard a guess that it can see better than I can.

Thank you again for taking part in “in conversation with ……”

Thank you for the opportunity to share my life and my passion with you.

Read all the other interviews in the series by going to this link

Real Name
    Phil Page

Re: In conversation with ...............Soozie

It's very nice to learn a little more about yourself, Soozie. Only 10 months after you've started as well - fantastic!

Real Name
    Soozie

Thanks Phil,

This is a fabulous way to get the know people better.

Thanks to Donald for the opportunity to share my story, much appreciated.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Really enjoyable, Soozie...except for the part about the husband being such a bad photographer. Being a husband, I'm a bit sensitive about that subject.

Elyssa is a real cutie! We need to see more photos of her.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Great story Soozie. It sounds like you are having great fun with photography! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your images.

Real Name
    Soozie

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Being a husband, I'm a bit sensitive about that subject.
    Hi Mike, there was no disrespect or malice with my comment, just fact hehe. Doesn't mean I love him any less hehe

Real Name
    Soozie

Thanks Frank, for the first time in my life I have found something that I can really get into and doesn't require a huge cash outlay or scheduled time commitment. What equipment I have is adequate to produce shots of good quality and I can go "shooting" whenever I want or can. To me that's a perfect hobby

Real Name
    Sergio

That was a fun read, Soozie. Thanks for sharing about yourself and your enthusiasm for photography.

Real Name
    Terri

Nice to meet you, Suzie. Beautiful granddaughter you have there. Easy to see how she could inspire your photography!

Real Name
    Soozie

Thanks Sergio and Terri.

Elyssa is a true inspiration and because at 16 months is so full of wonder at the world and delighted by the smallest things, it's easy to find the energy to constantly put her in front of the camera.

The world can learn a lot from the innocence and contentment from children in my humble opinion.

Real Name
    Mark

Its great to get to know you better Soozie, and im looking forward to see more of your work and now that im home having your comments on some of mine (now i have the bandwidth to post!!) im not sure my wife would agree with the costs involved though fortunately shes NOT a bad photog so i have more latitude than most!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I see that the numbers reading this thread (if not commenting) continue to go up.

Watch for the next one, which we be along by the end of this week.