Thread: Macro Alternatives

Real Name
    Jason

Macro Alternatives

Hi all,

I read recently about modifying a kit lens by removing the front element to make it into sort of macro lens. I had a try with my kit 18-55mm lens on my Nikon. I firstly tried removing the front lens element completely, this also give you no auto focus of course which is pretty standard for really close macro anyway, which is the photo of the flower insides. I then thought I would try something else, I put the front lens back on but did not screw it all the way in, leaving it just screwed in which left it flush with the front of the lens. I tried this and found that it did work and auto focus worked as well, well after a fashion, you had to have the subject pretty much in focus then the auto took over. I was able to focus a lot closer. The two insect photos are taken with the lens in the second configuration, I used the flash as the sun was pretty much down and there was not direct sunlight at all, so the light was far from ideal. The photos are far from optimal but they give an idea, I intend to try again when the light is better.
    Anyway I thought I would share this as I think it is pretty nifty, but would only try it on a cheap kit lens.

Cheers

J
    Macro Alternatives
    Macro Alternatives
    Macro Alternatives

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

Re: Macro Alternatives

they are nice, i got a standered kit lens myself thats doing nothing, how do you do this???

Real Name
    Jason

Hey Lurchy,

It is pretty easy, although I think the Nikon is different from the Canon kit in that the Canon actually has screws holding the first lens element in place. Where as the Nikon front lens is a unit that is screwed in as a whole, if that makes sense. So I don't think the second option I came up with, in screwing the front element out from its original place would work for the Canon. I will see if I can track down the pdf that showed how to do it with the Canon kit, that is what I originally saw that gave the idea to try.

Cheers

J

Edit: I found the original site that shows how to do the Canon lens, it is here:
    http://www.petapixel.com/2012/11/03/...front-element/

Real Name
    Jason

Hi again,

Well I have taken some more photos with the modified lens, with the front lens screwed out from its original position. I find it is working ok, there is auto focus and the quality is not to shabby. Here is another photo, this fly has one shiny carapace, you can make me out in it.

Cheers

J

Macro Alternatives

Real Name
    Greg

Nothing too shabby about those photo's Jason.
    I would be interested in having a look at that pdf as well

Real Name
    Jason

Hi Greg,

The PDF was taken directly from the website that is linked above, someone had just transcribed it so they could take it to work. While I am here, here is another shot, I really like this one.

Cheers

J

Macro Alternatives