Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Hoodycrow in Black and White

Real Name
    Pat

Hoodycrow in Black and White

Hi Folks,
    This is the first time I ever thought of doing a bird photograph in black and white,
    Critique and comments heartily welcome, Best Wishes, Pat

Hoodycrow in Black and White

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Hoodycrow in Black and White

Hoodies definitely need an air of menace in any image (I love birds, but these things are nasty creatures) and the flat sky and the dead tree certainly give it that. If you'd got it with nice fluffy clouds behind and lovely foliage on the tree, it just wouldn't have worked. So, for me, all the elements in the image work really well.

Real Name
    Wendy

Hi Pat, I love this shot, I'm not familiar with the bird, but if they are as nasty as Donald says, then the setting is perfect and I love the B&W. Now I don't know if it is just my monitor (or my eyes) but I'm seeing a light "aura" around the bird. Does anyone else see this or is it just something at this end. It shows up quite distinctly on my monitor.

Wendy

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Wendy,
    Thank you for your comments, I hadn't noticed the light "aura" around the bird but on closer inspection it is there but very slight on my monitor, will have to find a remedy for that. The Hooded Crow has indeed got a reputation for nastiness and is often associated, like it's cousin the Carrion Crow, with graveyards and things that go bump in the night. It will kill and eat small birds as well as raid nests for the eggs and chicks. I had thought that black and white would indeed work well with this bird.
    Best Wishes, Pat

Real Name
    Bobo

Nice shot in many ways.