Thread: Autumn in London

Real Name
    Tommy

Autumn in London

A couple of shots I took earlier this evening from Hampstead Heath looking over the city.

The thing I love about London is how rich it is in large green spaces and parks. I wanted to convey this in my images.

C&C much appreciated.

Nikon D90 | Nikon 18.0-105.0 mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 38mm | f/11 | 1/2 sec | ISO 200

Autumn in London

Nikon D90 | Nikon 18.0-105.0 mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 105mm | f/18 | 1.3 sec | ISO 200

Autumn in London

Thanks for viewing

Real Name
    Sergio

Re: Autumn in London

Beautiful autumn colors. Very rich and colorful. I also like the lighting and cloud cover over the cityscape. The two image series allows me to see the expanse and beauty of the greenery while being able to appreciate the wonder of the city. Very nice exposures and they do convey your intentions.
    Last edited by Sergio M.; 5th November 2012 at 08:54 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I think you're doing a great service to London, Tommy. I and I suspect many others, don't really think about London in terms of these large green spaces and parks. I think that second image in particular, takes greenery and foliage right into the heart of the city
    Last edited by Donald; 5th November 2012 at 10:13 PM.

Real Name
    Tommy

Thank you Sergio and Donald for your kind remarks.

Currently I feel I am scouting out some decent viewpoints from which to convey my intention in the best possible way. Unfortunately, I am yet to encounter 'perfect' conditions to get the shot(s) I am after. But I will keep trying.

Thanks again

Real Name
    Kevin

Tommy,

Looking forward to more of these excellent images. Our oldest son was at university there, and we were fortunate enough to visit several times. Most folks in the US have a different idea of what a huge city is, I think, and your images do much to rectify the misconceptions. We loved our time in the UK, just havent been to Scotland yet- actively making plans to rectify that delayed gratification.

Real Name
    Tommy

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply.

I haven't been to Scotland since I began this hobby. I would love to go though, it has to be one of the most photogenic places on earth. Stunning landscapes and dramatic weather. I could also get a few rounds of golf in while I'm there!

Real Name
    Jeff

Excellent images - with much nostalgia for me, this was one of my favourite spots when I lived in North London, not far from here. Keep 'em coming !

Real Name
    Bobo

Not much of a landscape shooter so can only judge by I like or I do not like.

I like #2.

Real Name
    Terri

Those are beautiful, Tommy. I love the colors and perspective in the first one - there's interest from foreground way on into the City and up to the sky. The second one is also really nice. I'm glad to have the closer view of the City. Looks like some interesting buildings.... and lots of cranes.

Real Name
    Andrew

Two great pictures Tommy i really like the way the colours compliment the whole image. You seem to have lots more leaves left on the trees than we do over here in the west country.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    Those are beautiful, Tommy. I love the colors and perspective in the first one - there's interest from foreground way on into the City and up to the sky. The second one is also really nice. I'm glad to have the closer view of the City. Looks like some interesting buildings.... and lots of cranes.
    There is a lot of cranes; I was on Waterloo Bridge for hours near the South Bank and Londoners were telling me of trouble ahead because of the building without regard to them. Nothing new but I bet the whole lot crashes before they are built. What beats me about this country is I have a friend living in Boston USA who can get to London cheaper than I can, and if I lived in London I could get anywhere free.

You wouldn't be able to put a camera up on a bridge or any public place around here in the evening without a swat team

Real Name
    Tommy

Thanks Jeff, Bobo, Terri, Andrew and Steve for your comments.

I hope to get a few more shots with better conditions before the beautiful leaves all disappear for another year.

Steve, there are a phenomenal number of cranes in London at the moment. More than I've ever seen. They are supposed to be the sign of a buoyant economy, but we keep being told otherwise. I'm confused!