Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Whose for breakfast? C&C requested

Real Name
    randy

Whose for breakfast? C&C requested

I took a break from trying to capture shots of distant, skittish birds and tried my hand at larger targets at the Como Park zoo. I want to determine the optimal distance between the subject and myself to achieve an image that requires minimal cropping, I also wanted to work on my technique with composition and monopod technique. Most shots were captured with Sigma 400mm Telemacro, no vibration compensation

Whose for breakfast?  C&C requested

Arctic fox Sigma 400mm, f/5.6, 1/200sec, iso 200, subject distance 6.3m

Polar Bear Sigma 400mm, f/7.1, 1/200sec, iso 200, subject distance 12.6m

Timber Wolf Sigma 400mm, f/5.6, 1/200sec, iso 200, subject distance 20m

Real Name
    Jim Manning

Re: Whose for breakfast? C&C requested

These look great, Randy! The only issue I have is with the Timber Wolf. The white balance seems a bit off for me and the exposure a little low. I think if those were fixed, this would be a stellar collection!

Real Name
    Terri

I think zoos are a great place to practice. Although I agree the color seems a bit off, I really love that wolf shot.

Real Name
    Bobo

I too quite like the wolf shot. WB and lighting are an easy fix if you are shooting in RAW. Of course getting it right first time does make pp that much more satisfying.

I hope you don't mind and have done a quick edit of #2 and #3.

Last edited by Bobobird; 6th November 2012 at 10:01 AM.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Randy,
    Don't know why some think the colour is a little off. In JHB zoo the polar bears are not white but also a bit to the creamish side.
    Shooting with a monopod with my 300mm lens is a bit of a problem to me. Can't keep it still enough when there is not sufficient light for a fast shutter speed. Have to use the tripod most of the time.
    Think you did pretty well with the monopod, looking at the shutter speed and focal length.

Real Name
    randy

Bobo- I do appreciate your edits, my only nit would be the opinion that what my eye saw was a wolf in the shade on an overcast day and a creamy colored polar bear. I submit a reference image shot by my wife (so no critique necessary, I know its out of focus)

note color difference between individuals; I do wish the focus was better, as I love the interaction between the two.

One question that I have is should I process according to what the majority feels is correct or as I see reality

Andre: Glad to see you posting photos, thank you for your critique and yes using the monopod is a challenge with the 400, I find that bracing the foot of the monopod against a rock or log enhances stability as well as the standard practices of rolling the finger across the shutter button, and bracing the body of the camera against your cheek bone. I can not debate that a tripod would be more stable, my problem is that it is so much quicker to use a monopod for wildlife shots. For these next shots I used the monopod due to the fact that tripods are not allowed in these areas, hence the training session

Amur Tiger Tamron 90mm macro, f/3.5, 1/80 sec, iso 800

Orchid Tamron 90mm macro, f/8, 1/80 sec, iso 800

Water Sprite Tamron 90mm macro, f/3.5, 1/100 sec, iso 800
    Last edited by rtbaum; 6th November 2012 at 01:09 PM.

Real Name
    Kenny

Hi Randy, in answer to your question, I think as you are the story teller, you should go with what your eye sees in the main. (Excellent advice given to me by Mike Buckley on this forum) I like what Bobo has done with his interpretation but ultimately it really depends on whether you are looking to portray reality as you saw it or a version that pleases the accepted norm. A lot of words to say - it's up to you!

Real Name
    Jim Manning

Indeed, we're only providing feedback on what we perceive. The ultimate final decision is up to you. If you like the photos as they are, then there's nothing wrong with that. We just assumed that you were requesting a critique.

Real Name
    randy

No offense intended, it was more a theoretical question, I did contemplate further adjustment, but opted for capturing the wolf in particular with a darker, more shadowy interpretation. I see wolves as inhabiting a shadow world; both figuratively and in a practical sense. I really don't think there is a correct interpretation and I too liked Bobo's interpretation. I feel that one of the true advantages of digital is that each time I edit an image, I can do so in accordance with my interpretation at that moment...............anyone for a pink polar bear?

Real Name
    Wendy

Hi Randy, as everyone has said the final decision is up to you. What I see though is a green cast on the polar bear and the wolf. I think you should be able to maintain the cream colour of the polar bear and the shadowy enviorment for the wolf without the green colour cast.

Wendy

Real Name
    randy

Hey Wendy, I am glad to see you up and posting, I was kind of missing you; you inspired me a year ago with your macro shots. But enough hero worship.......You are correct, there is a lot of green and that I noted most with Bobo's rendition. I think what I have learned most is that I really should consider a Whibal card