Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Snow makes everything softer...

Real Name
    Natalie

Snow makes everything softer...

This is from my archives, I never processed it before, it is almost monotone, but is it better actually IN monotone?

Hmmmm. after posting my images above, I realize the "softness" had been sharpened right out of the images....here is the original that gave me that sense of softness and quiet....any suggestions?

Last edited by Nat; 29th October 2012 at 02:16 AM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Snow makes everything softer...

The pastel colors really shine in the second version. The monotone version would perhaps work better for me if there was less contrast and if the dark areas weren't quite so dark. Regardless, the composition is really wonderful.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Hi Nat,

Considering the scene seems without colors, it may look better as monochrome.

btw, seems the weather coming in may create interesting storm pictures.

Take care....

Real Name
    Natalie

Thank you, Mike and Victor. Sorry, I was still editing when you posted. Photobucket seems slow...maybe because of this storm....I am near Ocean City, MD, and we are waiting to get the brunt of it tomorrow.....hope I will still be here after
    Mike, I thought the same thing. I overworked, oversharpened and saw this after I posted. The darks
    ARE too dark. You are right! And Victor, I think the monotone is too harsh, so I preferred the other, but after I saw my post....I need to rethink because the image lost the softness that attracted me to it....hence I posted the original....LOL!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Nat,

Now that you've got the third version (the original) posted, it's not that the other images are too sharp. It's that they have too much contrast and dynamic range if your goal is to retain all of the softness. The original is a classic high-key image and the other versions lose that high-key look. Anything that you do to retain it will surely help you achieve the soft look that you mention.

My guess is that a treatment that is somewhat between the original and your second post would be my preference. Perhaps try to keep some of the texture in the foreground snow without adding too much contrast to the rest of the image.

Real Name
    Matthew

Nat, I love this photo! The composition is great, but I think it is crooked a little. I'd rotate the pic a few degrees clockwise and crop off whatever portion you lose. Interesting how much the mood changes in the different versions, all of which I like, but I prefer the 2nd one most. I'd like to see the top 2 versions done with less contrast, as you and others mentioned. Great stuff!