Thread: St. Paul's Basilia Toronto

Real Name
    Allan Short

St. Paul's Basilia Toronto

Up in Toronto on Saturday and had the interesting time shooting inside St. Paul's Basilia in Toronto. It is located on Queen Street and Power Streets in the old Corktown area of Toronto. About a kilometer west of the Don on Queen Street.

Cheers:

Allan

St. Paul's Basilia Toronto

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: St. Paul's Basilia Toronto

A very nice shot Allan - I've been in the area quite often (spending money at Henry's Camera main store), but have never wandered the couple of blocks east to see this. It's on my "to do" list the next time I get to that part of Toronto.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Alan this is a beautiful church and an excellent capture. It has a great sense of depth to it.

Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

That, I think, is an excellent piece of work.

Real Name
    Dave

Oh yes. Better than good! Could you share how you set up the shot?

Real Name
    Kevin

Allan,

I dont very often let out an audible "WOW", but I did with this shot. I think it is superb, and I'm glad you left in that radiant light off the column at left. Could you share your techniques for the shot- it's an area I have a real interest in but have yet to put into practice. Well done,

Kevin

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Yup, that's brilliant work Allan.

Well done,

Real Name
    Frank Miller

You have quite a knack for capturing the best of these church interiors Allan! I love the pastel colours and artistic symmetry.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Ok here goes. I used a D600 set on a tripod, remote release, ISO was set to 50, shutter was at 15 seconds, used a 16-24mm f4 set at 19mm. I took a series of 8 images in raw, did lens correction, a little constrast, and clarity, and maybe a touch of exposure (can't remember) then syned to the other 7 images. Stitched in Photoshop CS6, used the warp tool after increasing the size of the canvas, applied a warp, didn't quite like it so rewarped it again, and again until I got something I was happy with. I was showen a new tool, so now comes the real fun for those of you with CS6, you find it in filters and it is the wide-angle something. Play with the setting on the right hand side, however the real fun is in the upper left hand corner, zoom into the image then find two points that should be level, click on the tool, click on one of the spots draw a line to the other point and click. A line should show, click on the line and a menu will appear and click on horizional and the image shifts, I did about 8 horzional lines and about 10 vertical lines. Now another neat feature of this filter is on the right hand side, a slider that shows my lens was set for 19mm, so I slide it to the right to change it to 50mm and it adjusted the image. Said OK, took me out of the filter, I then zoomed in to cropped to get the largest image I could. There were still somes areas in the forground that were out, not perfect but still a learning process.
    Hope that, that in some ways helps.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Allan Short

Thank you all for your comments, I am rather pleased myself with the image, I shot in there last year, however never got any real kind of results. This time however, again thank-you all: Manfred, Dave E, Donald, Dave, Kevin, Dave H and Frank.

Cheers:

Allan