Thread: Dream Lake

Real Name
    Terri

Dream Lake

The first morning of our trip we got up at 4:30am and got to our location before sunrise. There were cold, high winds and a cloudless sky which made our shoot less than successful. The second morning we were facing a longer drive and at least a 45 minute hike on an unknown trail so when we awoke at 4:00am to howling winds and a still cloudless sky, we decided to skip the sunrise shots and went back to bed.

So this image was taken mid-morning. At least some clouds came in right after we arrived to add a little interest to the sky. I don't think it is a bad picture but here is my self critique and what I learned.

Composition: To me, the lake is too chopped off. I got it in my head that I wanted a shot with the foreground included, yet when I encountered obstacles to that I remained stubborn and did the best I could. The area to my left was posted "Keep out for restoration." And I was already using my widest lens and was backed up to large rocks/boulders behind me. I should have let go of the desire for foreground and looked at other lens options from atop the rocks. (or at least in addition to the shots I took)

Dream Lake

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Dream Lake

I love the fact that the water is so clear that you can see the bottom.

Was this one of those situations where you could swing the camera to the left for a second shot and combine them into a panorama?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

It's interesting that you think the lake is too chopped off. Try cropping the bottom to eliminate the large stone in the bottom right corner (not because the stone itself is a problem). For me, that makes the lake serve as foreground interest for the subject, the mountain. In other words, cropping it that way results in a less-is-more moment.

Regardless of whether you like the suggested crop, I don't sense that the lake is too chopped off in your original. It's another very attractive image that perhaps is disappointing to you only because you had something else in mind.

Real Name
    Sergio

Can't comment on composition, Terri, but it's a wonderfully captured image. Looks like a great place to sit and bask in the beauty.

Serge

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    I love the fact that the water is so clear that you can see the bottom.

Was this one of those situations where you could swing the camera to the left for a second shot and combine them into a panorama?
    Thanks, Frank. You know, I'm not sure about the panorama. At that point in the day, everything to the left was pretty shaded and there was a lot of debris in the water that I'm not sure would have worked well. But I'm thinking that maybe I should do more panorama shots, if for no other reason than for learning in these early stages.

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    It's interesting that you think the lake is too chopped off. Try cropping the bottom to eliminate the large stone in the bottom right corner (not because the stone itself is a problem). For me, that makes the lake serve as foreground interest for the subject, the mountain. In other words, cropping it that way results in a less-is-more moment.

Regardless of whether you like the suggested crop, I don't sense that the lake is too chopped off in your original. It's another very attractive image that perhaps is disappointing to you only because you had something else in mind.
    You know, it's irritating when someone else can see such a simple solution that never occurred to me! I like your suggestion. What do you think? I don't know why I get such tunnel vision!!

Dream Lake

Real Name
    Terri

Thank you Serge!

Real Name
    Kathy

Terri,
    I have been to Dream Lake many times, it is very beautiful there!! Thanks for sharing you photo RMNP is my favorite place to be, it brought a smile to my face. I think your photo is very nice -- sometimes it is hard to capture the beauty that you see!! Have you been to Emerald Lake?? It is the lake on the hike past Dream Lake. It is unbelievable!!

Kathy

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    What do you think?
    Of course I like it! I suggested it! Great job also of cropping a little off the right side, which I didn't suggest.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

It looks like Mike's cropping suggestion worked very well in this case Terri.

On the topic of panorama, it sometimes doesn't need to be more than two images to effectively get a wider view than your wide angle lens can shoot and it can be used vertically as well as horizontally to compensate for not being able to backup far enough to get the entire scene. I can be a very handy technique at times.

Real Name
    Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    ... I don't know why I get such tunnel vision!!
    You are not alone there

I like both editions btw.

Real Name
    Chuck

Terri, Thanks for sharing your photos of Dream Lake and Hallett Peak. It is truly a beautiful spot. I like the second photo the best. I think Mike is right about removing the foreground and letting the lake set off the mountain. In addition your crop from the right side helps a lot to get the focus on the subject. You might just try a 1 to 1 crop leaving the foreground and removing more from the right side. Could be interesting.

Now all you have to do is go back for that very early morning shot when the wind is not blowing and Hallett is reflected in the lake. Just take lots of warm cloths. Cheers, Chuck

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy O View Post
    Terri,
    I have been to Dream Lake many times, it is very beautiful there!! Thanks for sharing you photo RMNP is my favorite place to be, it brought a smile to my face. I think your photo is very nice -- sometimes it is hard to capture the beauty that you see!! Have you been to Emerald Lake?? It is the lake on the hike past Dream Lake. It is unbelievable!!

Kathy
    Thanks, Kathy. I'm glad it made you smile. No, we didn't get to Emerald Lake. My husband has a hip that bothers him so I planned all our hikes for less than 1 mile each way. Even at that it took him a couple of days to recover.

Real Name
    Joe

Beautiful image Terri, will done.

Real Name
    Terri

Thanks to everyone for your comments. They are greatly appreciated!