Thread: Bird Antics

Real Name
    Soozie

Bird Antics

Hi everyone.

A wonderful day of driving around to new local areas was very rewarding in me being able to capture some more bird shots. It amazes me how these beauties never cease to amaze me with the antics and the shows they put on for a camera :-)

C&C welcome as always

1. Bottoms up

Bird Antics
    Swan Dive by Soozie_Lou_B, on Flickr

2. Red Eye

Bird Antics
    Duck by Soozie_Lou_B, on Flickr

3. Wing Span (slightly over exposed on the wing, but couldnt reduce it due to inexperience and the risk of ruining the detail in the water spray)

Bird Antics
    Wing Span by Soozie_Lou_B, on Flickr

4. Take Flight

Bird Antics
    Take Flight by Soozie_Lou_B, on Flickr

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Bird Antics

The last one is a beauty. For me it conveys the sense of open spaces wonderfully well and you have done a very good job, I think, with depth-of-field.

The bird in the second one seems to be swimming uphill. I think it needs a bit of a rotation.

Real Name
    Soozie

Thank you so much Donald. I was pretty proud of the last one too.

And you are right about my poor little duck swimminh uphill. Funny how I never noticed it until it was pointed out lol

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Soozie B View Post
    Hi everyone.

3. Wing Span (slightly over exposed on the wing, but couldnt reduce it due to inexperience and the risk of ruining the detail in the water spray)
    Nice shots, try a few in program or AUTO mode and note the settings. Also note which metering mode you are in. I am never fully satisfied with my settings either, even if a light meter indicates that the image is correctly exposed, I still want to add a bit of depth to the image.

Real Name
    Soozie

Hi John

Thanks for the feedback. I am actually trying that method of noting settings over the last week. In the wingspan shot I think I under estimated the glare from the sun (although I was happy with the rest of the pic, it was just the wings that bothered me). After all, it was 4pm on a Saturday afternoon. The sun should have had less glare, but I'm guessing noone bothered to tell it that!

Real Name
    Joe

Hello Soozie, you have some nice images that can be better with a few changes in technique. Whenever you are going to photograph a white bird in bright light the image needs to be underexposed by 1 to 2 f stops to control the highlights. I am not familiar with your 550D, but if you can find and turn on a setting so that the LCD screen will show blown highlights when reviewing a test shot your images of white birds will imporve. In my camera whenever there is a blown out highlight area it flashes black showing the area that is overexposed. I have become so accustomed to photographing white birds in Florida I automatically set the EV to -1 and if it still shows blown highlights them work my way further underexposing until the highlights are controlled. In post processing the exposure is then raised while watching the histogram's right side, exposing as much a possible but keeping the trangle from showing indicating overexposure. I hope this helps, keep shooting.

Real Name
    Soozie

Hi Joe

Thanks for the advice. It almost makes sense to me. I will see how I go next round of white birds (which wont be far away seeming birds have become a passion of mine)