Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: More Great Egrets In Flight...

Real Name
    Joe

More Great Egrets In Flight...

I shot these last Friday. C&C welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Re: More Great Egrets In Flight...

Sharp and well exposed action shots. Particularly good considering the lighting constraints.

Real Name
    Connie Keyes

Beautiful, graceful. I like the way the light shines through the wings on #1. It must be wonderful to live in an area with these birds close by to watch.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Excellent captures Joe. You're getting good at this in-flight stuff aren't you !!

Dave

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

+1 to everyone else Joe

Well done,

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Sharp and well exposed action shots. Particularly good considering the lighting constraints.
    Thanks Geoff, your viewing and commeny is very much appreciated.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by CLK View Post
    Beautiful, graceful. I like the way the light shines through the wings on #1. It must be wonderful to live in an area with these birds close by to watch.
    Hello Connie, Florida is a wonderful place to photograph birds. In the summer there are the resident birds that stay year round and in the winter we have mingratory birds either staying for the winter or passing through. Thank you for viewing and commenting.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Excellent captures Joe. You're getting good at this in-flight stuff aren't you !!

Dave
    Thanks Dave, I appreciate your comment. As it is said... practice makes perfect. I am getting better at keeping the focusing square on the bird in the center of the viewfinder.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    +1 to everyone else Joe

Well done,
    Hello Dave, thank you for viewing and commenting.

Hi,
    I live in Lady Lake, FL and I used to take this kind of picture. But after seeing gazillions of shots like them, I decided never to take another one of its kind. And that to be a significant photographer I would have to do something different with these beautiful birds or hang up my camera for good. I have talked with other photographers who feel the same.

So, last season, I experimented and came up with one prize-winning shot which by my standards was indeed different. It was difficult, but eminently worthwhile. Now I try to do the same with any subject. For me it has got to be someway of viewing a subject that is new and refreshing. It isn't easy and so I no longer take lots of photos.

Do any of you folks feel similarly inclined?

Real Name
    Soozie

So, last season, I experimented and came up with one prize-winning shot which by my standards was indeed different.

Hi Barry

May we see the shot?

Personally, because I am still learning, I am totally loving all the pictures that go up. They help me learn, understand the art of capture and the people here provide feedback on how I can improve. So, to answer your question, I have quite a few more millions of shots to take and view to the stage where I may be tempted to leave my camera behind or consider a picture unremarkable. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Soozie B View Post
    So, last season, I experimented and came up with one prize-winning shot which by my standards was indeed different.

Hi Barry

May we see the shot?

Personally, because I am still learning, I am totally loving all the pictures that go up. They help me learn, understand the art of capture and the people here provide feedback on how I can improve. So, to answer your question, I have quite a few more millions of shots to take and view to the stage where I may be tempted to leave my camera behind or consider a picture unremarkable. :-)
    Hi Soozie,

Here it is. I entered it into a photo contest in GA this summer and took first prize of $100. Better than the money were the comments that people made when seeing it. Some photographers actually came over to me and said that they could see why it was selected, and then asked how to get such a photo. It was good for my ego, but better for keeping my goal in sight... fewer pictures, but different than the usual.

If you are wondering how I made this photo, I observed that when kids would throw food in the water, many birds would compete. They would fly fast trying to be first to the food, and the losers would have to reverse accelerate to get out of the pack. That is when the forces of the air on the wings made their feathers seem to come apart. So the next time I was ready and shot my Canon 7D at maximum shots/sec. I used a 70-200 f4 lens and fast shutter speed.....Hope you like it.

Last edited by bmpress; 15th October 2012 at 12:11 PM. Reason: missing picture

Real Name
    Soozie

Hi again Barry

I can also see why it won. It is a very clever and fabulous shot, well done for preempting the birds movement. I am very impressed at the detail in the wings, I have tried to capture this type of situation but all I end up with is over exposure particularly on a white wing.

But for the sake of us novices, please keep the shots coming :-)

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by bmpress View Post
    Hi,
    I live in Lady Lake, FL and I used to take this kind of picture. But after seeing gazillions of shots like them, I decided never to take another one of its kind. And that to be a significant photographer I would have to do something different with these beautiful birds or hang up my camera for good. I have talked with other photographers who feel the same.

So, last season, I experimented and came up with one prize-winning shot which by my standards was indeed different. It was difficult, but eminently worthwhile. Now I try to do the same with any subject. For me it has got to be someway of viewing a subject that is new and refreshing. It isn't easy and so I no longer take lots of photos.

Do any of you folks feel similarly inclined?
    Hello Barry... I feel sad that you do not enjoy photography as you once did, only now taking special photographs. When I photograph it is something my wife and I do together, and when you are on in life ( both of us being 69) it is wonderful to have a common interest. When I am wandering in a natural area it is my cathedral, enjoying all my Creator has put upon this earth. I find beauty in the simple things... all God's creatures great and small. My aim is to show the beauty of nature, not make a special image that will win a contest.

Regarding the image you posted, it is a wonderful image of a Great Eget in the air with it's feathers extended but a shame that there are areas of the white plumage that are blown out with the detail being unrecoverable. If you want to learn instead of expounding on how great a photographer you are, next time when photographing a white bird underexpose by one to two stops.

Thank you for your comment on my images.

Actually there is nothing blown out in the image. I sent a small jpg rather than the finished raw file. And frankly Joe, you have made a choice to be mediocre, rather than unique. I feel sorry for you that you accept mediocrity.
    Barry