Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fun with a new camera

Real Name
    Jason

Fun with a new camera

Hey all,

Just bought a new camera and lens, nikon d600 and a nikkor 50mm 1.4, which I have been loving. What an upgrade from my d90 a kit lens. the 50mm is my first prime lens and is taking some getting used to. Shooting with out a zoom lens is definately more of a challenge.

Anyway heres one from today

Fun with a new camera

Let me know what you guys think

-Jason
    Last edited by Rhoads238; 14th October 2012 at 04:52 AM.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Re: Fun with a new camera

ISO6400 is very liberating after a D90, isn't it! That's something I noticed straight away, moving from D90 to D700.

How's the autofocus on the D600 in low light? Is the 50mm hunting for focus much?

I don't think you needed ISO6400 here though, with a shutter speed of 1/1250th. I tend to set Auto ISO on when I'm shooting street photography in varying light, with a minimum shutter of 1/100th or so and a max ISO of 6400. You'd have had around ISO400 with this image, but obviously without the very natural looking ISO6400 grain.

Real Name
    Debbie

Congrats on the new Nikon gear. You'll get used to that prime lense in no time at all.

I like photo; good use of the natural light.
    Debbie

Real Name
    Kerry Frank

Nice image, a cool customer... Congrats on your new stuff!

Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    ISO6400 is very liberating after a D90, isn't it! That's something I noticed straight away, moving from D90 to D700.

How's the autofocus on the D600 in low light? Is the 50mm hunting for focus much?

I don't think you needed ISO6400 here though, with a shutter speed of 1/1250th. I tend to set Auto ISO on when I'm shooting street photography in varying light, with a minimum shutter of 1/100th or so and a max ISO of 6400. You'd have had around ISO400 with this image, but obviously without the very natural looking ISO6400 grain.
    Hey Phil,
    Yes having a high iso is very liberating. Ive been having a blast with my new toy. The d600 is great in low light although I only have the d90 with the kit lens to compare against. The 50mm hunts around a in very dark conditions. I have the af illuminator turned off because I like to use af for street photography and blasting people with that searchlight isnt exactaly stealthy. Your right about the iso though, I wish I had it set lower because the grain wasn't exactally what i was going for.

How do you like the 24-70? I have been drooling over that lens for some time now and will be my next purchase.

Thanks everyone

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Jason, nice picture. You definitely captured something inside him.

Karm

Real Name
    Phil Page

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoads238 View Post
    Hey Phil,
    Yes having a high iso is very liberating. Ive been having a blast with my new toy. The d600 is great in low light although I only have the d90 with the kit lens to compare against. The 50mm hunts around a in very dark conditions. I have the af illuminator turned off because I like to use af for street photography and blasting people with that searchlight isnt exactaly stealthy. Your right about the iso though, I wish I had it set lower because the grain wasn't exactally what i was going for.

How do you like the 24-70? I have been drooling over that lens for some time now and will be my next purchase.

Thanks everyone
    The 24-70 is very good. It's a go to lens for an event, group photoshoot etc. It's not a sexy focal range, but it does it well.

I'd look at a vertical grip for your D600 is you're thinking of mountgin one though - the 24-70's not a huge lens, but balances better when your camera's gripped. I should know, I used my 24-70 first on a D90.

But then again, my hands are gorilla like...