Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: setting colour temperature on a lenovo W510 laptop

setting colour temperature on a lenovo W510 laptop

I've just bought a datacolor Spyder 4 so I can see color casts on my photos. When using it for the first time today It asks me to set the colour temperature to 6500. Try as I might I can't find where to do this. I've been through windows and tried to find the settings also tried the Nvidia settings - these were set to 'other application' anyway.

Can anybody help. It is tiresome doing some corrections every time I use my home PC after thinking the color was correct on my w510.

thanks

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Re: setting colour temperature on a lenovo W510 laptop

You might need a update if not already done so look here.
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/down...cID=MIGR-74261
    This Hotkey Feature will put or should put a "On Screen Display" on your screen for changing the color Temp along with some other functions

this looks wonderful and thank you. However I downloaded it and it installed, rebooted but I can find the on screen display to actually use it. Any ideas?

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by markfay View Post
    this looks wonderful and thank you. However I downloaded it and it installed, rebooted but I can [not] find the on screen display to actually use it. Any ideas?
    I downloaded something similar from Microsoft and it ended up as a clickable icon called "Color" in the Control Panel (Windows XP, SP3). So you might find it in your Operating System's equivalent place (where you set mouse actions, users, etc.).

XP Rules!! :-)

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

It's just hiding from you I would think it should have put a icon on your desktop but maybe not, I'm sure it's there, look under Control Panel maybe.

Real Name
    Cristian Alexe

Quote Originally Posted by markfay View Post
    I've just bought a datacolor Spyder 4 so I can see color casts on my photos. When using it for the first time today It asks me to set the colour temperature to 6500.
    I had a similar dilemma on my laptop, which is not Lenovo, but some Dell with Wide Gamut LCD screen. I found out that optimal result was to use "native" as white point setting, or 5000K. Spyder Help documentation is quite bad and software settings are not very well implemented. Fiddeling settings I was able at some point to verify that "native" was actually cca. 5200K on my LCD, thus not very far from 5000K setting. Unfortunately I do not remember how I did this, I believe I forced the settings on LCD monitor with RGB sliders, which showed the actual white point temperature at a certain step; but as I said, I do not remember exactly how I came on it. Hope it helps though.

Just go with "native" white point, for me it worked fine. Photos processed on my "native" white point calibrated display and printed on remote machines (e.g. www.blurb.com) are just fine.

Note:
    I have no option (or at least I do not know how) to change the color temperature to 6500K on my Dell laptop.

thanks all, I've spend half an hour trying to find it but must get back to work until later :-(
    It's not under control panel but I did find it listed as an application and was able to change it to 'start' in a screen I've never seen before. However my initial burst of excitement was quickly dampened as I still can't find it.
    It's not in control panel.
    Christian - thanks, I'll reserve your method to use if I can't find it. I don't know if the spyder is capable of telling what the screen temperature actually is. I could then fiddle with the crude colour calibrator utility which came with the laptop until the spyder said it was 6500 if all else fails? (it's of the type - move the sliders until the box looks grey....)